Toto drake problem

Users who are viewing this thread

michou

Reaction score
Hi, We have 2 Toto drakes in our home. They were both professionally installed about one year ago. In our master bath, I noticed that occasionally I can hear the Toto refilling and water running through the pipes, like it does when it refills its tank, but for a shorter amount of time. This happens maybe every three or four hours even if nobody had used it recently. On some occasions, the water trickling noise will come on even when a person is sitting on the toilet before they have flushed. The other Toto seems to be working fine, so the problem just occurs on one bathroom. Can anyone give me advice on what the problem might be? thanks for your help!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
inside_tank_cst744s.jpg

It sounds like a flapper.
Lift the lid, and check to see if the tank is losing water.

Last edited:

michou

Reaction score
yes i think the tank is losing water

we turned off the water. then we marked the water level in the tank. after about 15 minutes, the water level was noticeably lower. also, there is a hissing sound coming from the tank.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I normally sand where the bolts drop through the tank, and make sure the large nut is tight on the flush valve.

The hissing sound could be the fill valve keeping the filled.

michou

Reaction score
still leaking

Hi Terry, we tightened the flapper and also sanded. but it still is losing water at a rate of about 1 tank per hour. Do you think it is a defective flapper? should we just try to replace the entire flapper?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I installed a Toto a few years back and need flappers.

I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and saying that hard water destroyed the flapper. Not leaking as of yet but the flapper looks horrible and it's on its way to leaking.

Chlorine levels are really high in my area and there was no chlorine tablet in the tank.

Do I go to Toto or do I buy online on these flappers? (Terry)

I only want OEM on these flappers, 6 or 12 will cover me. It's starting to come around where my years in the biz are having me back inside these tanks replacing what our terrible water does to rubber/plastic components.

st743s_chlorine.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
AT a 1/2 or full dozen, you might find them on-line cheaper after shipping, but the Korky ones at Lowes are the same as supplied in the toilet and you can buy them on at a time as needed.

michou

Reaction score
thank you!!

We got a replacement free flapper from Toto and now the toilet is good as new!! Thank you Terry and all on this forum. It was so helpful! :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks