Toto Drake leaking tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob Turner

Bob T.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever experienced a Toto (or other brand) with a tank leaking through the base of the tank material (not through the hold-downs or main seal?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unusual. The more common points of leakage are from the flapper seal (the nut may not be tight enough), or around the hold-down bolts. It sometimes helps to sand the interior surface to get the rough edges off the casting prior to installing the washer and bolt. Water can migrate, and the location of the leak can be misleading. If the toilet is used frequently, it could also be condensation. Normally, this isn't a problem since the tank is not emptied and the retained water is normally warmed to room temperature, tempering the incoming cold water. But, if you flush the toilet often enough, or your incoming water is excessively cold (say from a deep well), then condensation may be occuring. If it is a fault in the casting, the only reliable solution is replacement. Toto return rates are nominally <1%, which is quite low compared to most other brands. Nothing's perfect all the time. I'd look at the other things first, though.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Read these instructions first

Jamie's instructions for the Toto Drake

1- remove tank and bowl from their respective packaging. (1 minute)

drake_sand_bolt3.jpg
2- lightly sand the bolt holes inside the tank to ensure a smooth surface
for the rubber washer to contact. (30seconds)

ecodrake_tankbottom.jpg

3- Using large pliers, give the large nut at the bottom of the tank a bit of a snug, then push the rubber gasket onto the bottom of the tank until it is flush.
The flat side should be facing the tank while the tapered end should be
pointing towards the bowl. I find a half twist will really snug it flush.
(30 seconds)

Bob Turner

Bob T.
Reaction score
I filled the tank on the workbench and found droplets forming along a line near the supply inlet. Takes about a minute to see sizable drips. There is no evidence of a crack on either the inside or outside. Has to be a problem in the china casting.

Great tips for install but this problem is certainly unique.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks