Toto Drake iron stains

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by v4brad, Mar 11, 2009.

1. v4brad

v4brad New Member

I installed a Drake with Sanagloss in my master bath in 1984. I am getting ready to purchase another Drake for the main bath to replace a Crane contractor special. I'm wondering if there is something about the Sanagloss finish that attracts iron stains.

The bowl on the Drake starts turning pink below the water line a few days after cleaning. The Crane never turns pink. I believe it is iron because one time I replaced the water softener salt with an iron reducing salt and the pink disappeared until I started using regular salt again.

Any thoughts on why the Drake discolors and not the old Crane? Is there anything I can do about it other than use expensive softener salt? Thank you!
  2. gusherb94

gusherb94 Member

where did you get a toto in 1984? they didnt even come to america until 1990,unless your somewhere else.
  3. v4brad

v4brad New Member

Oops! I previewed that post 5 times. Must be getting old. What I really meant was 2004. :)
  4. gusherb94

gusherb94 Member

thats what i thought. :D:p
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Pink could be iron reducing bacteria...I get that in my toilets, both the newer Totos and in the original builder's special I had in there.
  6. v4brad

v4brad New Member

I hadn't heard of iron reducing bacteria before. Here is a link with some info about it: IronSulphurBacteria.pdf Sounds like it is usually associated with well water. I'm on chlorinated city water so hopefully I'm okay.
  7. Peanut9199

Peanut9199 Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale

I have the Soiree with the Sanagloss and it does turn pink as well, i thought it was because i don't flush at night and it builds up.
    I do not have any problem with rust or iron and i have two other Soiree's in the house and don't have an issue with them.
  8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I'm on a city water supply, and I get it in the toilet, and around the edges of the tub (no Sanagloss on that!).
  9. v4brad

v4brad New Member

Very strange -- this pink business. :confused: I Wonder if there is something in the sanagloss finish that attracts iron molecules. I've ordered another Drake (w/ sg) for the main bath to replace the Crane and it will be interesting to see what it does. I'm betting it will go pink as well. My water softener has two or three months of salt in it. When it gets real low I'll put the iron reducing salt in it again.
  10. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Serratia marcescens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serratia_marcescens
  11. v4brad

v4brad New Member

So I got my second Drake and installed it in the main bath. So far no pink in the bowl. In the event that the pink in the other Drake was biological I did the chlorine bleach shock treatment. It has only been a day and a half but so far it seems to have helped.

BTW, the new Drake is quieter. I like that.