Toto "Drake" Installation Question

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Henry G, May 8, 2010.

1. Henry G

Henry G New Member

So I installed my Toto today, but I ran into a problem. The wax ring I used doesn't seem to compress enough to allow the toilet to sit flush with the floor. The problem is the rear, or the front of the toilet ill sit higher depending on how I apply the pressure. Is it possible the wax ring I used was too tall?

The floor is level, and I installed a new closet flange.

I also noticed on the box the wax ring came in that it mentioned to install the ring in 70 degree temp. I would imagine the house was only 60 at the time. Would this slight difference in temps make a huge difference?

I haven't pulled up the toilet yet, but I did bolt it down the best I could. I just made the bolts snug as to not damage the toilet, but I didn't notice much of a difference.

Guess I'll need to buy another ring, and try again? Any advice?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If the bowl doesn't set down to the floor, you may have a wax with a plastic horn.
    Try a wax seal without the horn.

Jamie's Drake Instructions
  3. jc60618

jc60618 DIY Junior Member

I once had a black swann wax ring with out a horn and it was difficult to compress. I tossed it to the garbage got a different brand and it compressed fine.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If the new flange is not sitting firmly and completely level on the floor (no gaps!), the toilet could be hitting the flange which is holding it up. Otherwise, you may just have to smush it down further. Don't rely on the bolts to squish the wax flat. If you used a ring with a plastic horn, it may be holding the toilet up...use one without the horn, they work better.
  5. Henry G

Henry G New Member

I tossed the wax ring with the plastic horn, and purchased one with it. Apparently that was the problem all along. Thanks again guys!