Toto Drake II Tank Top

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by DanMcD, Oct 21, 2012.

1. DanMcD

DanMcD New Member

At a dealer, I noticed the Toto Drake II tank top does not fit snugly. It can slide around and, when it does, displays the lip of the tank bowl. Is this normal?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Many of their lids come with hook and loop (aka Velcro) strips that tend to keep it in place. They may not have installed those on their display model, or you could try it yourself.
  3. DanMcD

DanMcD New Member

Thanks, but that sure is a bad design by Toto. The lid should fit snuggly without velco. Maybe a re-design is in order with a lid that goes over the tank top edge.
  4. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

"The lid should fit snuggly without velco"

Why? Under what design principle? It's a lid.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I haven't noticed lids flying around the home. Kids and grandkids use the bathrooms, and nothing changes. What do you use toilet lids for that you're worried that they will go missing?

The Vespin II and the Drake II share the same tank.

[​IMG]
    A Vespin in an old Seattle home on a 14" rough, using the 14" Unifit to pull the bowl closer to the wall.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  6. DanMcD

DanMcD New Member

When a person leans back against the seat top, the seat top will push the lid and slide it back and off the tank lip...exposing the edge. Then it will need to be put straight each time this happens. An annoyance and a poor design in my opinion. I think Toto could have done better, given how great the toilet performs.

Dan
  7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I don't think I or any of the kids lean back against the tank. I just checked a Drake II that I have. The tank sets down pretty good on the tank. There is enough friction between the two surfaces to prevent it easily moving around, but yes, if you lean back you can make it move. Even if they had velcro, I imagine that leaning back could force a tank lid to move.

Do people lean back when using a toilet?

The Ultramax tank leans back, and the seat doesn't touch the tank. Making the seat contact the tank on the one-piece Ultramax would be pretty tough.