Toto Drake GMAX Fill Valve Hissing

Users who are viewing this thread

Starwarsith88

Reporter
Reaction score
Recently the TOTO Drake in my house in the basement has an OEM TOTO GMAX (Korky) fill valve. And when it is filling the fill valve will go on an off when filling, and after finished filling, the fill valve sometimes makes a hissing sound, I was thinking maybe to replace the seal but is this a whole assembly issue? Also what is the OEM Korky fill valve for TOTO Toilets? I have found the OEM GMAX fill valve to work better and faster than the Korky 528T I have installed in the other 2 TOTO's. Any Suggestions?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
www.terrylove.com/korky

We use either the Korky 528MP or the 528T
Repairs can be made by replacing the assemby cap. Remove the fill hose, pop off the cap, pinch the arms on the float and lift out.
The assembly cap then spins off CC.

Korky 528T Replacement TOTO Toilet Fill Valve - Fits G-Max and Power Gravity Toilets -Easy to Install -Made in USA

528_cap_in.jpg

korky-quietfill-p600.jpg

Last edited:

Nebulus

Reaction score
I too have had the hissing problem as described on the Toto Drake toilets. I installed two Toto identical drake toilets with the Gmax flush valve. Both toilets would hiss constantly after a flush. It is intermittent problem and it started on both toilets at the same time. However, I believe I have found the problem. I have not seen the fix posted anywhere else, so I will post it here.

On the bottom side of the float arm, there is a small rubber pad. This pad comes into contact with the fill valve assembly cap and closes the valve when the tank is full. Over time, the small point on the cap makes an indentation in this pad. As the indentation becomes deeper, I believe that the float arm fails to seal against the assembly cap properly. The attached photo shows the pad.

gmax_float.JPG

The pad pops out of the arm easily. I removed the pad, turned it over, and reinstalled it. This seems to have fixed the problem on both toilets.

If you have problems with the Gmax flush valve running, I suggest trying this solution before buying anything. While you have the float off, remove the assembly cap and check for debris under the rubber gasket as this could cause issues as well. I cleaned the filter, assembly cap, and gasket as described in other posts, and that alone did not work. Flipping the rubber pad over did the trick. However, this is only a temporary solution as the indentation will reappear on the other side of the pad and the problem will come back. I will be contacting Toto regarding that.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks