Toto Drake flush

Users who are viewing this thread

willjr

Reaction score

I recently installed an ADA height Toto drake C744EL-01 with the 1.6g tank ST743s-01 and found that it was too high for my children, so the plumbing supply house let me switch out the ADA bowl for the regular height bows C744E-01
I installed it with a new wax ring and I am noticing that the ADA version had a noticeably better flush than this standard height.
According to the MAp testing website, the ADA height and standard height both received the same score of 1000
I noticed some white caulk looking material near the outlet of the toilet, I don't know if this is normal, or maybe it had some damage at the factory, and was repaird.

Do you think there is something wrong with this toilet, as I can definitely tell a difference in the flush
I am using the blue korky flapper in the tank for a little more water flow.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Bill

Attachments

• P1020321.jpg
    P1020321.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 361
  • P1020322.jpg
    P1020322.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 340
  • P1020323.jpg
    P1020323.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 379
Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The flush looks fine to me, and we have, among other things, two Original Drake (CST744S) toilets in our house, except it's obvious that you're using more water than necessary b/c of the blue flapper. It's really not necessary most of the time for most people.

Here's a 1.6gpf Drake with which I am well-familiar, doing a normal flush. You see you don't need to be using anywhere near as much water as you are to accomplish what you need to do.

I'm not surprised that the taller bowl may give the feeling of more oomph, as it is taller and may get the water "rushing" a bit more.

However, remember that with Toto's double-siphon technology, you're not trying violently to eject the waste from the bowl; instead the siphon is sort of "pulling" everything out of the bowl. That's how you move that much waste so quietly.

So you might try the thing as it's designed, and then if you really feel that some stuff isn't going down, then alter the toilet. Me, I consider it to be kind of cool that it accomplishes what it does on so little water.

willjr

Reaction score

yours seems to empty quicker than mine. The ada one I initially installed flushed like yours. I spoke with toto tech assist, and the are telling me the ada and std height should flush the same, but I can tell a difference.

I put the original red flapper back in and shot a video

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Taller bowls always have an edge.
Gravity helps.

As long as you are moving 500 grams you're very good.
1,000 is a crazy number really.

willjr

Reaction score
Thanks, I guess the ADA height really does have a better flush. But if you think it is flushing as it should, I will be satisfied with it .

Bill

SamC

Reaction score
What about the taller bowl gives it an edge?. I see that the level of the water in the bowl is further from the floor. But isn't the level of the water in the tank the same distance from the water in the bowl, or is that further as well?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You're still adding height in the bowl. Even a little bit makes a difference.
Though we feel that a 500 gram rating is fine.

I used a TOTO Ultimate MS854114 for years that was rated at 325 grams and it was outflushing other brands that were rated at 650 grams.
Go figure.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My guess is that if you measured from the top of the bowl where the tank attaches to the siphon jet hole, you'd find that the ADA height one is taller. The kinetic energy of the water increases as the square of the height difference, so say 2" is 2x2 or four times more energy. A little goes a long ways!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks