Toto Drake fill valve makes strange noises

Users who are viewing this thread

GoshenPlumber

Reaction score
Toilet: Toto Drake CST744S

The fill valve makes a strange squealing noise as the tank reaches the end of the fill.
Questions:
(1) What is the cause of this noise?

(2) Can the fill valve be repaired / cleaned to stop this noise? If so, does anyone have instructions on how to repair / clean?

(3) Should I replace the fill valve? If so, should I stick to a Toto part or is there a generic part that works just as well?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Toilet: Toto Drake CST744S

The fill valve makes a strange squealing noise as the tank reaches the end of the fill.
Questions:
(1) What is the cause of this noise?

(2) Can the fill valve be repaired / cleaned to stop this noise? If so, does anyone have instructions on how to repair / clean?

(3) Should I replace the fill valve? If so, should I stick to a Toto part or is there a generic part that works just as well?

How to clean/fix it depends upon which fill valve you have (Toto uses them from a couple of manufacturers). To help you identify which valve you have, there's a Toto piece on this at: http://www.bayplumbingsupply.com/images/documents/voretolavallefillvalveinstructions-rev06-1.pdf

If you have the Type B valve, its manufacturer also has a video on how to clean/service it.

If you are lucky enough to have a Korky 528 (Type B in the picture), then it is easy to clean, and to repair it you only usually have to replace a little seal, the R528 cap, available for about $4 at Home Depot. If you have the other kind, junk it and get a Korky 528MP, which is available at Lowes (528MPK is what they call it) but not at home depot. It's the one with the silver cap and is called the MaxPerformance fill valve. That's the version of the 528 that you want for your toilet (not the white-cap one or the red-cap one).

Last edited:

GoshenPlumber

Reaction score
Thank you for the information!!

I should have looked closer at my installation -- I have a Toto GMax fill valve. Can this fill valve be repaired or cleaned, or must I replace it?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you for the information!!

I should have looked closer at my installation -- I have a Toto GMax fill valve. Can this fill valve be repaired or cleaned, or must I replace it?
I just completed a repair like this. It is the fill valve cap, but you will probably find the caps are not sold separately. I had to buy a new valve. The caps are interchangeable, so I didn't have to mess with a complete change of valves. The valve cost $12 at Ace Hardware. Follow the video and it's a piece of cake.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I have a Toto GMax fill valve. Can this fill valve be repaired or cleaned, or must I replace it?

All the fill valves in Toto GMax toilets, regardless of design, say Toto GMax on them. What you need to determine is whether it is Type B or not. Look at the link I posted at: http://www.bayplumbingsupply.com/images/documents/voretolavallefillvalveinstructions-rev06-1.pdf and determine which one it is. Click on the blue text to follow the link. If it is Type B, clean it according to the video and if that doesn't fix it replace the cap. If you have Type A, replace the valve with a Toto 528MP.

Gary, the caps aren't sold everywhere, but they ARE sold at a lot of places, including Home Depot (but not Lowe's). Some Ace Hardwares sell them but not others. Here is the link to Home Depot, where one can determine how many are in one's local store and even in which aisle they are hanging. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-Toilet-Fill-Valve-Replacement-Cap-R528CM/202666007?keyword=r528 Or one can order it from HD over the Internet at the same link.

Lowe's sells the 528MP, as do many other stores. http://www.lowes.com/pd_336988-868-528MPK_0__?Ntt=528mpk&UserSearch=528mpk&productId=3284948&rpp=32

We're making it pretty easy for you and anyone else who reads this thread (which they will since we answer the same questions repeatedly on this forum, which we are happy to do), yet people very often read what we write and totally ignore it. The Type A, Type B thing was right there in my reply #3 above. Please respect our investment of time and at least try what we suggest...

And let us know how it works out.

Last edited:

GoshenPlumber

Reaction score
To wjcandee:

I understand what you wrote above and do respect your investment of time. In my case, I just misunderstood your post #3. I am sure your post was clear to you, but was not clear for me which was my fault. I apologize.....

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
HD had the Korky fill valves, but did not have the caps at least according to Smock Man. I didn't go to the shelves and inspect personally. At any rate, I go the job done and the cost was not too bad even having to by the whole valve. Maybe I could have spent 2 or 3 hours prowling other places, but that would not have been very cost efficient.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
To wjcandee:

I understand what you wrote above and do respect your investment of time. In my case, I just misunderstood your post #3. I am sure your post was clear to you, but was not clear for me which was my fault. I apologize.....

Oh, geez. No apologies necessary. I didn't mean to sound harsh. I'm glad to help, and you are right that I can offer all the information in the world but it's useless if the reader doesn't understand it. Anyway, glad you are working on it!! Let us know what kind of valve you have and then let us know how it goes!!!! Success stories make it even more worthwhile to do this. Again, sorry for sounding crabby.

GoshenPlumber

Reaction score
Hey, if I had a $1 for every time I was crabby.... :)

Anyway, I have type A. I will buy and install the Korky 528MPK at Lowes.

Thanks!!!!!!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
See my post on the other thread regarding these caps a Home Depot. I did look at Lowe's, and they had zero caps. Maybe yours will.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yeah, Goshenplumber has the Type A (non-Korky) fill valve, so he needs the whole 528MP valve, which he can get at either HD (at least some, as they are starting to stock it chainwide) or at Lowe's (chainwide for some time). Only HD has the R528 cap; Lowe's doesn't carry it anymore. Both are widely-available online and in many local hardware stores and at many Ace's (my nearest Ace in Manhattan carries almost the entire Korky line of everything, down to esoteric Korky Fits Kohler flappers) and independent hardware stores (like the NutHouse in Manhattan, the only 24-hour hardware store that I know of, which has multiple floors of hardware, including a lot of Korky stuff).

Knotaplumber

Reaction score
Toilet: Toto Bristol MS866114
I had a very loud screeching toilet while it was refilling. First I rinsed out the center tube and strainer even though it was not dirty and replaced the cap (the diaphragm had deteriorated) with a new 528T. I think you can buy the diaphragm only. Still it screeched though not as loud. Next, I replaced the flapper with a 2022BP. No better, still screeched. Next, I checked the underside of the "neck" that is located between the arms of the float. Located there is a rubber disk that is supposed to close the tiny hole on top of the cap when filling is completed. That disk was deteriorating and in no way could it work properly. I had a new float and I replaced only that. Screeching stopped! I did forget to clean the ball at the bottom of the float chamber. Be sure to stabilize the valve shaft with one hand while working.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
You are correct that the R528 cap is available at HD and other places; you don't have to go buy the whole valve just to replace the cap. A new float, though, means buying a new valve, and when the pilot seat on the float (that little rubber disk) wears out, you need a new float, hence a new valve. It's pretty-resiliant, though. It shouldn't wear out for years and years, if ever.

Hint: The cap and the float are the same on all flavors of the Korky 528 valve, so if you are buying a new valve just to get the float, then buy the cheapest one, the straight up white-top 528, pull out the float and the cap, and chuck the rest in the recycling bin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks