Toto Drake Elongated vs Round in small space

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by dbill, Nov 25, 2012.

1. dbill

dbill New Member

Hi all - As part of our bathroom remodel, I'm replacing our ancient Kohler low rider toilet with the Toto Drake CST454CEFG. As you can see from the picture, the current toilet front edge protrudes a bit into the door opening space and just grazes the door as it swings in.

I'm changing the door to a pocket door, but do I still have a concern with passing inspection if the Drake still sticks out? Distance from the doorway to the toilet center line is 20" in from the door opening, and the door is 28" wide. 20" in from the door, the elongated bowl of the Drake will stick out 1-1.5" into the door opening. This seems like it would be ok for walking past, especially with the pocket door - but maybe we're just used to sidestepping this monolithic Kohler.

Would this pass inspection? Or should I switch to the round bowl Drake? I'd really like to stick with the elongated bowl, but not if there's a code concern.

Thanks-
    toilet.jpg
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Code requires 15" either side of the centerline of the toilet and 24" in front. It doesn't directly address any intrusion into the door space (that I know of, but that's definately not conclusive!).
  3. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

The CST454CEFG is the Drake II. It only comes in elongated. The CST743S or CST743E are the 1.6gpf and 1.28gpf round-bowl original Drakes, respectively. CST744S and CST744E are the elongated original Drakes.

The model number you named is a nice toilet, with eco-flush (1.28), dual-cyclone flush, sanagloss, and Universal Height, all included.
  4. wptski

wptski Retired Machine Repairman

That picture is a bit distorted but I'm guessing that there isn't 15" to the wall. That can't apply to exsisting structures?
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

FWIW IMHO, a typical elongated toilet seems smaller in a room verses a round one because it is smaller across at the front. ANy male in the house will appreciate it, and many women, too.
  6. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Your space between the toilet and wall does appear to be less than code required 15", but that's what you have to work with. It might be wise to discuss this with your local inspector to see if this could be grandfathered. As noted, the slight extra space in front of the toilet will not really be a problem, so do go with the elongated bowl.
  7. wptski

wptski Retired Machine Repairman

Have you ever seen a situation where a local inspector didn't allow it to be grandfathered as codes may have changed over the years?
  8. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Please note that I stated you should check with your local inspector to see if this width problem can be grandfathered. If it can not, then you have a whole new problem. Obviously the existing toilet has be functioning for years at this width, but code does require 15" from toilet center to walls. You photo doesn't give a good perspective, so you should measure and see just what you really have.
  9. stephenk

stephenk New Member

To the OP-

I would recommend you look into what codes your city uses and which code your bathroom would fall under. People here are talking about 24" clearances required in front of the toilet. My community still uses the 2009 International Residential Code for home bathrooms, which only requires a 21" clearance in front of a toilet. I dug up this picture from a website that makes the 2009 IRC available online.

Note - I'm no code expert, so contact your local officials for the final word.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012