Toto Drake CST744SL Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

bmixon

Reaction score
I installed the Toto Drake (CST744SL) today. There were no problems with the installation, however I do have couple of questions. If I press on the front of the tank, it will rock (move) about a 1/4" of an inch backward. Should the tank move at all or should it be flexible the way it is now. I was afraid to tighten the tank down anymore. Do I need to tighten it more so that it will not move. It is not leaking at all. I am just concerned about how it moves if you press on it. Here are the model numbers just in case they gave me the wrong tank for the bowl. Thanks

(Drake Elongated Front Bowl-Model C744SL)
(Drake G-Max Flushing Tank-Model ST743S)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
drake_angle2.jpg

If the tank doesn't look like this, you might want to tighten it some more.
When we install them, we tighten them pretty well.
Instructions

bmixon

Reaction score
Tank Installation

It appears to be the right tank. I will tighten it down more. Should there be any movement at all after it is secure to the bowl.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They are the right tank and bowl.

Some movement will be present.
The only way to totally remove any movement is to buy a one-piece toilet like the Utramax, Plymouth and others with the tank molded to the bowl.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
terry_clarkkent2.jpg

You may need to tighten it with more strength.
You don't need to be as powerful as a locomotive, but you do need to tighten it.

I work with hundreds of these units every year without problems.

And this is true of all the brands.

Last edited:

bmixon

Reaction score
Sorry to keep bringing this up, but before I installed the Drake I installed a Gerber Aqua Saver model 21-752 with a Aqua Saver tank model 28-790. This Gerber tank tighten down rock solid and there is no movement at all once it was installed. Is the Drake designed my factory specifications to have tank movement and for the tank to rock back it push on. I noticed before I installed the Drake that the back of the bowl had a small rising lip and wonder how the Drake tank would fit flat on the bowl. If it was not for the small lip I believe the Tank would fit tight on the bowl. Did they designed this at Factory so there would be give in tank or so that other types of tanks will fix this model bowl. I have had the Drake for a few days and certainly like it, but I don't like the idea that the tank moves when press on. I realize you have installed hundreds with no problem, but why have the tank move. What is the real reason for the movement. Sounds like even it I tighten it down more, there still will be movement.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
"why have the tank move?"

I think the real question, is why do things move in the first place?

"What is the real reason for the movement?
Is it to withstand windshear in heavy winds?
Is it to reduce vibration down through the bowl and thus noise?
Is it so that the rubber washer is compressed to prevent leaks?

If you're paddling down a river in a canoe and a wheel falls off,
How many pancakes does it take to shingle a dog house roof?

Answer,
Three, because ice cream doesn't bounce.

Oh, and now there has to be a reason?
Does the jiggle in Jello have a reason?
Do corndogs really need mustard?
Why do some chairs rock?
How come some cars use torsion bars and other cars use McPherson Struts?
Is it okay to use a "swing axle"?
Could all things be made the same?
No, I think there may be ownership of ideas
http://www.cptech.org/ip/wipo/

But a lot of ideas can be copied, just look at how much Toto is copied.

They could make a tank that is "rock steady" and have a bowl that flushes really well.

Some brands have tanks that feel more solid and don't flush well.
Some brands have tanks that really move and still don't flush well.

You don't need to worry about it,

but you will.

But then, maybe there is a design opening somewhere for someone that can create a quick bolt platform that hides between the tank and bowl using something like kevlar fibre wingnuts. Something invisible when the two parts are completed, sort of a marriage between two seperate entities, creating a super oneness of being and intent.

Maybe a trip lever that slides down as you push, rather than a lever. That way you could just palm the lever and slide it down sort of like a dimmer light toggle.

Last edited:

bmixon

Reaction score
Why do things move in the first place

Thanks for your funny reply. You right, I will worry about that. I really do like the ToTo and will buy another. I had to remove the ToTo yesterday and re-install it in another bathroom at home. This time I made sure that it was tighten down to the point where it could almost crack. There is less movement this time but still movement. I noticed that after it is completely tighten down, the tank to bowl gasket keeps the tank from touching the bowl almost around the entire perimeter of the bowl. I guess its possible the bowl gasket could have been manufactured incorrectly or I could have been given the wrong gasket for this bowl and tank. The Toto lives up to its name and does a great job. I would buy another Toto. Thanks again for a wonderful website.

Update: I called TOTO techincal support in Morrow, GA today to ask them about this problem. The tank is not designed to move but to be tighten to the bowl. The Technical support person told me that there are three points on the tank that needs to touch the bowl so that it will not move.

The small rim ridge that rises in the middle in the back of the bowl, the right front of the bowl and the left front of the bowl. If the tank touch the bowl at these three points the tank will not move.

Last edited:

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score

Answer,

Oh, and now there has to be a reason?
Does the jiggle in Jello have a reason?
Do corndogs really need mustard?
Why do some chairs rock?
How come some cars use torsion bars and other cars use McPherson Struts?
Is it okay to use a "swing axle"?
Could all things be made the same?
No, I think there may be ownership of ideas
http://www.cptech.org/ip/wipo/

Terry- That was really funny. Did you just riff that off the top of your head? "Ice cream doesn't bounce" :)
But I'm glad that bmnixon called Toto. Even though it doesn't matter if there is some movement it's nice to know they intended the bowl and tank to touch.
bmnixon- your gasket is fine- I think Toto made them all a little too thick, I stopped tightening mine even though they don't touch, preferring a little bounce/movement to a cracked tank from over tightening.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Canoe's with wheels

Answer,

JD,
I came up with that on a boy scout trip when I was a kid.
Now I find, that my nieces and nephews have been telling that one.
I guess a little rubbed off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks