Toto Drake "Crooked"

Users who are viewing this thread

johndobs

Reaction score
I just purchased the Toto Drake ADA (CST744SL), based on many positive reviews here. I'm installing it, and placed it over the flange for a test fit and to determine if it would need to be shimmed. Looking at the toilet, it was obviously not level. I grabbed my level and placed it over the seat area and then over the rear of the toilet and verified that it was not close to being level, with the left side of the toilet much lower than the right. I then checked the floor and observed that it was only slightly out of level, with the left side just slightly lower than the right.

Wondering if it was the toilet itself, I rotated the toilet 180 degrees so that the front of the toilet was facing the back wall and again placed my level on the top of the toilet. This time, the toilet was closer to being level, but now the RIGHT side of the toilet top was actually lower than the LEFT side (even though the floor slopes slightly in the *other* direction). That seems to confirm to me that the toilet itself is "crooked".

I don't see any obvious deformity on the bottom of the toilet that would throw it off level to the degree (no pun intended) I'm seeing. I'll probably return the toilet to the dealer... but am wondering if this is a common problem that perhaps others have seen, and if I'm likely going to have the same problem with a replacement? If they're all cast from the same mold, won't a replacement have the same problem?

Thanks... John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Before you do that, ensure that the flange isn't too high and the thing can rock on the flange. A properly installed flange sits on top of the finished floor and is anchored through it with no gaps underneath. If the flange does not sit flat or is too high, the toilet won't sit right, nor will it seal properly.

johndobs

Reaction score
Flange height

Jim, thanks for the reply. The flange is level to the floor on one side, and actually about 1/4" below the floor on the other. The toilet is definitely not sitting on the flange, but thanks for the suggestion.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
drake_from_top.jpg

What most look like.

It's hard to say without seeing it.
I would say that they have been looking good to me, but then I'm not looking at your bowl.

I'm guessing it would be hard to find a perfect bowl that is made from clay with any brand.
A porcelain bowl, made from clay, starts off about 25% larger, and then shrinks down to size when dried.
I sometimes notice that the left can be a little lower.
If your floor is leaning, then the effect is doubled.

I see some instructions that mention levels, but when I'm installing in older homes, so often the floors are leaning from age.
I prefer that the bowl folows the floor, rather than shimming for the top, and having a gap below at the floor.
There aren't many floors that are flat and level after a few years.

Last edited:

johndobs

Reaction score
Thanks for your response Terry. I moved the bowl down to my kitchen floor (which is level) and again put my level on the bowl, and on the rear where the tank would sit. Again, the bowl is out of level, and the rear is significantly out of level. It's visibly "off" when sitting in my bathroom, so I've decided to return it and get another tomorrow morning. Hopefully the replacement will be better.

I'm not looking for "perfect", but then again I don't want a bowl that is off as much as this one is. Since the rear is so out of whack, I'm thinking that once the tank is attached the problem will be even more pronounced.

Thanks for your response!

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks