Toto Drake and leaking Flapper - again

Users who are viewing this thread

rollinridge

Reaction score
I know this topic has been posted before but I am basically lost. We have 2 Toto's - both handicap height/enlongated not that it should make a diff. First one installed 2005 in a master bathroom ensuite the second one installed 2008 in a hall bath. The Toto from 2005 had the original flapper with no problems. The 2008 flapper we had to replace after 3 years (2011-ish) which we did with a Toto flapper. It then started leaking again a few months ago so I came back to these message boards to research to see what was up. Figured we weren't going to spend another $20 for 3 years if there was something better. So we bought the Korky 3060BP. We have tried adjusting the settings it will go for days fine and then slowly seep, like for some reason it won't set right. (We have a line on the inside of the tank so we can see when it goes down and we have well water so we hear the pump running). Last night we even turned the water off and this morning the tank was completely empty.
What do we do now? Husband is about ready to get a new toilet at this point.
Any help would be appreciated.
Tx
BTW - there are only 2 of us in the house with occasional guests.

rollinridge

Reaction score
OK - DH checked both toilet insides and has figured out that the 2 little things that the flapper connects to [ ok so I don't know proper terminology] on the newer toilet are off center. That is a pipe that is through the toilet and bolted on? So, it needs to be turned just a wee bit? Easily done or need a plumber that can do Toto's?
Tx

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Okay, let's help you a little here.

First of all, no need to get a new toilet. Total overreaction, but understandable in that we don't like it when things don't work.

Second, the 3060BP should work just fine in your toilet. Korky makes flappers that Toto installs in its toilets at the factory. Thousands of folks have used them on their Drakes, so no problem.

The correct setting for your original Drake is 6. The setting only affects how quickly it closes after flushing. It should have no effect whatsoever on whether it leaks after the tank has filled.

Here's a little thing on the anatomy of a toilet, so we will be on the same page: http://korky.com/anatomy.html

If I understand it correctly, you only are having problems currently with the one toilet. Your husband thinks that the thing is "off center". Probably not. The flush valves are molded, so the pegs or whatever you want to call them should be in the same place on every valve. And it worked fine before. More likely, the flapper isn't being pulled straight up, or is binding on the pegs. Easy enough to fix. First, try removing and reinstalling the flapper. Make sure that the arms of the flapper move freely on the pegs and that it drops straight down when you let go of the chain. Next, look at how the flush lever is positioned over the top of the flapper. It should pull it straight up rather than to one side. If you need to adjust it, just bend the metal rod a bit.

Also, look at the mouth of the flush valve. Is there any debris or gunk that has built up on it so that it isn't making a clean seal? Just running a scouring pad (or green scrubby) around the lip of the thing can clean it up to make a clean seal.

The 3060BP is a great product that I have used, and fits my Drakes with no issues. However, if you haven't made it work with that one, the one that actually came with your toilet is this one by Korky: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-3-...-for-Toto-G-Max-2021CM/202666003#.UbtAD_n5m6g A lot of places aren't carrying it anymore because the 3060BP can be adjusted to many toilets, but if your local HD has the 2021, it will work nicely, too, and is purpose-built for your toilet. (It's literally the same one that Toto would send you.)

If these suggestions don't get you there, another alternative is to call Korky. They are super-nice folks in Wisconsin, and their nice folks will actually get on the phone with you and walk you through it while you are doing it. If they think that maybe there is something wrong with the flapper you bought, they will just send you a new one, no questions asked. 1-800-528-3553.

Don't toss the toilet just because you're having trouble replacing the flapper. It's a flapper. On a flush valve. It's not rocket science. Just sometimes getting it tweaked can take a couple of tries or a few minutes. You'll get it fixed and then keep on loving your Totos for years to come.

BTW, if you call a plumber who works with Totos regularly (and probably even one that doesn't, as toilet anatomy is basically-similar in the tank), he's going to pull a 3060BP off the truck and drop it in your toilet, adjust it so it moves smoothly and pulls straight up, clean the flush valve, test it a bit, and make it work.

Come back to us if you don't get it resolved. It's possible though unlikely that you have a crack in the flush valve, and we can help you with that, but most likely it's just a matter of getting the flapper in there and adjusted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the water quality and whether you use any chemicals in the tank, a flapper valve can last anywhere from 6-months to many years. THey do not like high concentrations of chlorine from the cleaning tablets. If you do use them, STOP! Other than that, it's pretty simple. Make sure the slack on the chain is set properly, too. Too long and it can get kinked or caught underneath. Too short, and it won't let it close properly all of the time (maybe never).

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I concur with Jim about the chain length. I actually have a toilet in the City where if you put the lid on, it pushes the handle down a bit such that it will lift the flapper a bit if you don't give it enough slack.

We had a participant not to long ago who had a leaky flapper that he couldn't figure out. When we mentioned chain length, he lengthened it another ring or two and voila, problem solved. Dumb of me not to mention this as another possibility.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
look at the mouth of the flush valve. Is there any debris or gunk that has built up on it so that it isn't making a clean seal? Just running a scouring pad (or green scrubby) around the lip of the thing can clean it up to make a clean seal.

After 7 years I would expect gunk build up around the flush valve to flapper mating surfaces. Mine was black goo. Cleaned the flapper surfaces and the flush valve exhaust opening. Problem gone. Since you have well water do you see any calcum build up in the flush valve exhaust opening?

Jay T Boggs

Reaction score
Also, we have 3 TOTO Drakes. 2 are 2005. And 1 is a 2004 ADA Height one like yours. All have original flappers accept 2 of the Drakes got their original fill valve replaced by fluidmasters. I replaced the 2 with Korky 528T's. After I found out about this TOTO site, I will just order from there. And don't replace the TOTO's! You won't regret it :)

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The Toto site is fine, but if you can get the 528T for less than the TSU99A.X that Toto is going to sell you (which is a Korky 528MP with some bells and whistles), no need to pay Toto the extra $$. Same with the flapper -- if you can get the Korky 2021BP, it is identical (and by that I mean it's the exact same flapper made on the same machine in Wisconsin) in a different box; it's made by Korky and put in one box that says "Toto EMax GMax" for the Toto Store and Toto plumbing suppliers, and another box that says "Korky Fits Toto" and gets sold at hardware stores.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay T Boggs

Reaction score
I bought 2 of the 528T's and they aren't worth it. I would probably just buy a TSU99A.X next time. Faster refill

Jay T Boggs

Reaction score
Mine actually don't drop as fast so water fills up a little bit before the water goes down. I actually like it that way.

safetytipguy

Reaction score
I know this thread is years old and you may not even see this, but I created an account just to thank you for this answer. I installed 3 Toto Drake toilets in the past few weeks. I was going to install the American Standard Champion 4 toilets until I found this forum. The fact that the AS only come in "comfort height" (I only want standard height) made me want to look elsewhere, which is how I found this forum. Anyway, the first two Drakes I installed worked perfectly, the 3rd had been giving me some problems. First, the bowl wouldn't fill completely compared to the others. Secondly, the flapper would leak. I figured there was nothing I could do about the bowl fill. I already shimmed it at the rear since the flange was a hair too high and the toilet would rock slightly without a wax ring. But regarding the leaky flapper, I came to the same conclusion as this lady's husband, that the flapper wasn't centered and so I would need to install some rubber tube spacers on either side to force it to stay centered. But after reading this I saw that indeed it was being pulled up and to one side. I bent the lever and made it center. To my surprise, not only does it no longer leak, but the bowl now fills to the proper level!

So thanks for your post, it was a 20 second fix.

Okay, let's help you a little here.

First of all, no need to get a new toilet. Total overreaction, but understandable in that we don't like it when things don't work.
If I understand it correctly, you only are having problems currently with the one toilet. Your husband thinks that the thing is "off center". Probably not. The flush valves are molded, so the pegs or whatever you want to call them should be in the same place on every valve. And it worked fine before. More likely, the flapper isn't being pulled straight up, or is binding on the pegs. Easy enough to fix. First, try removing and reinstalling the flapper. Make sure that the arms of the flapper move freely on the pegs and that it drops straight down when you let go of the chain. Next, look at how the flush lever is positioned over the top of the flapper. It should pull it straight up rather than to one side. If you need to adjust it, just bend the metal rod a bit.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I know this thread is years old and you may not even see this, but I created an account just to thank you for this answer.

Not only did I see your nice post, it made my day. Thank YOU! That makes it extra-worthwhile to participate in these forums.

And good job! I'm glad you were able to fix it yourself!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks