Toto Drake 1.28 GPF ST743 - water keeps flowing from black hose into overflow riser

Users who are viewing this thread

Marguerite

Reaction score
Hello people,
I have a Toto Drake 1.28 GPF ST743 purchased in 2009.
The black hose that comes from the fill valve into the overflow white riser does not shut off flowing water after flushing and bowl is full.

I now turn off the water at the valve outside the toilet, below, coming out of the wall.
When I need to flush I turn the water source back on, and when I do that I notice that the water is not flowing out of the black hose (until I flush again). So turning off the water halts the problem, if that is any further clue to this toilet's issues.

In July of 2013 my other Toto Drake toilet of same vintage, 2009, I had to replace the fill valve because of a different issue. Water kept seeping into the bowl which turned out was a fill valve issue (not a flapper issue). So I know how to change a fill valve in the toilet, I just don't want to do it if there is a different and easier fix.

I'm guessing the fill valve needs to function properly to make the water stop running into the black hose.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thank you!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Hello people,
I have a Toto Drake 1.28 GPF ST743 purchased in 2009.
The black hose that comes from the fill valve into the overflow white riser does not shut off flowing water after flushing and bowl is full.

I now turn off the water at the valve outside the toilet, below, coming out of the wall.
When I need to flush I turn the water source back on, and when I do that I notice that the water is not flowing out of the black hose (until I flush again). So turning off the water halts the problem, if that is any further clue to this toilet's issues.

In July of 2013 my other Toto Drake toilet of same vintage, 2009, I had to replace the fill valve because of a different issue. Water kept seeping into the bowl which turned out was a fill valve issue (not a flapper issue). So I know how to change a fill valve in the toilet, I just don't want to do it if there is a different and easier fix.

I'm guessing the fill valve needs to function properly to make the water stop running into the black hose.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thank you!

Do you have the korky 528 style fill valve, or a different kind? If you have korky, we can help you replace the little cap inside that has the working parts.

Marguerite

Reaction score
Hi Mr. Candee, you are the person who responded to my forum question last summer and helped me with my other toilet.
Thanks again!

I don't know if the fill valve in the current problematic toilet is a Korky.
It is the fill valve that came with the toilet in 2009.
As per your advise in July last year, I bought and installed a Korky QuietFill MaxPERFORMANCE 528MP fill valve for the other toilet, and it works like a champ.

I can send a photo of the one in problematic toilet, but don't see a way to upload a photo on this forum.
It is all green, and kind of oblong, not round, with a little white knob at the top for the ratio adjustment thing.
It does not look like the Korky 528MP that I installed last year in other toilet.

Here is what you wrote me last year:
If you currently have the Korky fill valve in your toilet (the so-called Type B Valve in this piece: http://www.bay*******************/ima...ns-rev06-1.pdf), then you can repair it by changing a little cap inside it which is available for like $4 at Home Depot. That's an even easier repair.

And I looked back at my notes from July 2013, when you helped me last time, and "in order to sound like a pro":D I should have written that my toilet is a Toto Eco Drake number CST744E.

Thanks for helping!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Hi Mr. Candee, you are the person who responded to my forum question last summer and helped me with my other toilet.
Thanks again!

I don't know if the fill valve in the current problematic toilet is a Korky.
It is the fill valve that came with the toilet in 2009.
As per your advise in July last year, I bought and installed a Korky QuietFill MaxPERFORMANCE 528MP fill valve for the other toilet, and it works like a champ.

I can send a photo of the one in problematic toilet, but don't see a way to upload a photo on this forum.
It is all green, and kind of oblong, not round, with a little white knob at the top for the ratio adjustment thing.
It does not look like the Korky 528MP that I installed last year in other toilet.

Here is what you wrote me last year:
If you currently have the Korky fill valve in your toilet (the so-called Type B Valve in this piece: http://www.bay*******************/ima...ns-rev06-1.pdf), then you can repair it by changing a little cap inside it which is available for like $4 at Home Depot. That's an even easier repair.

And I looked back at my notes from July 2013, when you helped me last time, and "in order to sound like a pro":D I should have written that my toilet is a Toto Eco Drake number CST744E.

Thanks for helping!

You were a great student!

Okay. Well, if it has the little white knob, then it's the Type A valve from that piece. It doesn't have the same abiility as the Korky to be fixed with a little cap. The only thing that one can really do with that other valve is to clean the strainer, and I'm thinking that that isn't likely to be the problem. So...I think it's probably time to repeat the process that you used with the other toilet and install a new fill valve, the same one that you used on the other toilet. Then if you ever have symptoms again, they should be fixable with that little cap that replaces the "guts" of the valve.

However, I will defer to anyone else that suggests an alternative solution.

Marguerite

Reaction score
You were a great student!

Okay. Well, if it has the little white knob, then it's the Type A valve from that piece. It doesn't have the same abiility as the Korky to be fixed with a little cap. The only thing that one can really do with that other valve is to clean the strainer, and I'm thinking that that isn't likely to be the problem. So...I think it's probably time to repeat the process that you used with the other toilet and install a new fill valve, the same one that you used on the other toilet. Then if you ever have symptoms again, they should be fixable with that little cap that replaces the "guts" of the valve.

However, I will defer to anyone else that suggests an alternative solution.

Mr. Candee has solved my toilet problems again! Thank you!
I went down to the Ace Hardware and bought the Korky 528MP MaxPerformance replacement fill valve for only $15.21 including tax.
I followed the directions from Mr. Candee from last July 2013, as well as his link to Korky's YouTube video instructions.
So, this is the second time I've replaced a fill valve, and it is a cinch. Now, like Mr. Candee would say, I understand how easy it is, and even his mom could do it in 15 minutes!

Here's the video. it has a certain homey, hokey, Wisconsin quality to it (that's where Korkys are made), but it's accurate.

And, once again, tonight I'm good to go! Ha ha!
It can't get any better than that!

Thank you Terry, for a great forum, and thank you to Mr. Candee for being so responsive to us Junior plumbers/homeowners in need of you expert Senior gurus!
:)
Marguerite

korky-quietfill-p.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
So happy it worked out!!! You are an amazing student!

I learned everything I know from the great folks here on the forum, who were patient with me when I knew nothing. So I am happy to pay it forward!

Congratulations on saving some real money (twice!!) by learning to do relatively-straightforward toilet fixes by yourself!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks