Toto Dartmouth - Flapper Replacement Problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Bing

Reaction score
It is time for a flapper replacement in my Toto Dartmouth. Picked up the correct flapper but when I went to remove the old
flapper, the tang that the flapper attaches to is so close the to tank, you can't remove it without cutting it. Do you have to remove
the flush valve assy to install the flapper ? Can you loosen the flush valve assy and rotate it so you can get clearance for removal
and installation of a new flapper ? If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great.

Please post a picture of the inside of the tank.

cst784_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a Dartmouth and had to change flappers recently, but the tang you refer to clears the back wall of the tank with plenty of space. My guess is the valve assembly is misaligned. I'm sure it can be turned, but I'm not sure how to do it. Hang on for Terry or one of the other pros to pickup on this and give you informed advice.

After thinking this through a bit, I believe to adjust the flush valve, you will have to remove the tank from the bowl and loosen be big nut on the bottom of the tank. Turn the slush valve slightly to square it up with the tank and tighten the nut. This should not be overly difficult, but does require a pair of large channel lock pliers to grip the nut. Might help to have someone hold the valve in place when tightening the nut. Otherwise, it should be as simple as installing the tank the first time.

Last edited:

dlreiter

Reaction score
Toto Dartmouth Design Flaw Flapper Valve. Chain Pull

I have a Dartmouth and the design is flawed, when the handle pulls the flapper valve it does not go straight up but is pulled sidways. The flapper then does not seat and it will run constantly. The metal rod cannot be bent to account for the design to pull the chain plumb with the flapper. I've tried putting a metal rod in the tank to deflect the side pull of the flapper but it does not always work and I am getting very frustrated when my water bill comes in so high from this toilet running all night long. Does anyone know of a fix from toto, these toilets are to expensive to have to rig to get to work.

cst754_minch_zoom.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any hardware store sells a 3" replacement for TOTO. Korky and Fluidmaster both make a 3" flapper.
The fill valve that works with them, is either the Korky MaxPerformance or the Fluidmaster PerformanceMax

The fill valve is installed with a large nut at the bottom of the tank. Loosen the nut, swivel the flush valve, and re-tighten.

Normandy Park is real close to us. I could have Jamie "service call" it to swing by with a flapper and his pliers

Instructions by Jamie

This is a Drake tank, but the flush valve and flapper is the same
inside_tank_cst744s.jpg

korky-3060-2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks