Toto Dartmouth and Carrolton - Questions about 2.5 year old

Users who are viewing this thread

lilleth

Reaction score
Approximately 2.5 years ago I purchased a Carrollton and a Dartmouth toilet. The Carrolton is in an existing bath and was purchased to replace an old toilet, and the Dartmouth is in a newly constructed bath.

We have never had any problems with the Dartmouth flushing well. The Carrolton, however, has periodically clogged, even with no solid waste and with small amounts of paper. I found on the Terry Love site a list of the toilet papers least likely to clog, and switched to one of the top performers, which helped for a while. Recently, however, I have had the toilet clog about 5 times in the last 2 weeks.

I purchased these toilets after extensive research and understood that the Toto would not clog with normal use. I am the only person using this toilet, and absolutely nothing goes into it other than toilet paper.

With the Dartmouth, I have a different issue. Strangely enough, there are dark marks, small flecks, on the rim, that seem to be under the finish of the toilet. We have never used anything abrasive to clean it. What do you think this could be?

Thank you for your advice.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For the Carrollton, I would lift the toilet off of the Unifit adapter and see if anything is blocking it.

If there is something there, it would tend to catch paper.

Plumbers here know, that even though nobody remembers putting things down that don't belong, we still find them.

In a bathroom with counters, there is always a way.
Sometimes, it's even one of the contractors using it for a garbage bin.
I had one toilet I pulled that had enough carpet strands to do a closet hanging out the bottom.

Under the rim, could use cleaning sometimes.
Dark flecks could be mold.
I've been using Clorox with Teflon.

cst774s-01.jpg

Last edited:

lilleth

Reaction score
Well, good point, given that the tub in this bathroom was clogged with grout from a tile job, as was the kitchen sink disposal. Those were expensive to fix. I know the plumber will hate removing the toilet and resetting it.

what about the tiny dots in the surface of the rim of the other toilet? Toto advised me to clean it with something abrasive, said there could be scratches in the finish. that seems counterintuitive to me but I guess I will try it.

lilleth

Reaction score
One more question. What about the "dirt pipe" or whatever it's called. Could that be a problem? This toilet that is clogging is in an old bathroom.

Right now of course it's not clogging anyway. seems to be intermittent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks