Toto Dalton flushing problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I have Toto Dalton installed in my basement bathroom.
This bathroom is hooked up to a Liberty Pump Pro 380 unit.

As you can see in the video, when you flush the toilet it bubbles/burps/gurgles.

Is it normal for the toilet to burp/gurgle like that? If not normal, what are possible causes?

The reason I am asking is that I am getting an odor in my basement and I am trying to eliminate possible causes.
I haven't had any problems with the toilet clogging or not flushing (only problem is bowl wash, but that's not my concern here).

Thanks.
mm

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It doesn't look like you have any water in the tank. Normally there is more water coming into the bowl.

The water needs to go up and over the bend in the trapway.

Was the water level ever adjusted in the tank?
The water should be within 1/2" of the top of the overflow.

cst733f-01.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
A plumber installed the toilet so I am not sure about the water level or any adjustments.
I will check tonight and report back.

thanks.
mm

It doesn't look like you have any water in the tank. Normally there is more water coming into the bowl.

Reaction score

The water should be within 1/2" of the top of the overflow.

I checked the water level in the tank.
The water is just above the water line mark (WL and a black line) on the over flow tube.

Any other possible causes for the burping?

Thanks.
mm

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
That was my first thought.. the basin must have an atmospheric vent or there will be no where for the air to go.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
The pump shouldn't work if its not vented. maybe I never posted it because I thought of that. I dunno. Long day and tomorrow is gonna be worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
So......the fact that folks are trying to figure out why the toilet is gurgling/burping when I flush it, does that mean it should not be doing that? That there is something not right?
I've never had a Toto toilet before so I dont know what is normal operation/flushing....

To answer the question posted:

Yes, the pump is vented to the roof.
Originally, the plumber who did the work on this new construction bathroom DID NOT vent it to the roof. Rather, he vented it off the upstairs kitchen sink. I think he called it "wet venting." Well, I had another plumber come in and do it properly (long story). So, all the bathroom fixtures that go to the pump up unit are vented directly to the roof.

Thanks.
mm

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The thing should be fairly quiet except maybe at the last moment when the suction is broken, stopping the flow of waste and water out of the bowl. No bubbling, gurgling during the flush, except are the very end. Anything that slows down that process will result in a problem. Could there be a problem with the float switch in the basin? If the basin is essentially mostly full when you flush, and the first part of that either jossles the float switch or turns it on, then, there'd be room for the rest of the flush, but too late since it had already slowed the whole process down.

It sounds like there's something either clogging the outlet or the line isn't the proper size, has no slope, or the toilet itself has something trapped in there.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Jad has the right idea.... if the liquid level is too high in the basin, the drain line will never clear.

The fluid level in the basin should never reach the height of the inlet in the basin.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks