TOTO CST744E, 1.28GPF or 1.6GPF? To replace a Mansfield

Users who are viewing this thread

Flamanar

Reaction score
Hi. New here. Very interested in Toto toilets (never heard of them until tonight). Looking at the CST744E. I read a discussion further down here that I need clarification on. With this model, is it possible to change it from 1.28GPF to 1.6GPF by changing the flapper, or some other minor modification? I'm nervous that 1.28 might not be enough. Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1.28 GPF is enough. They're now making 1.0 gallon toilets too. If you need more water, just hold the handle down a bit.
The Dual flush TOTO Aquia I had in the main bath for a while, would flush with 9/10 of a gallon. (Less than a gallon)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, you can just change the flapper valve and cause the toilet to use more water. It will probably end up using more than just the difference between the 1.28 and 1.6g, though, as the ratio of the tank/bowl filling is calibrated to the 1.28g flush...so, if you dump more water, it will run longer to refill the tank, which means it will run longer to fill the bowl, and the bowl won't hold more, so it goes down the drain being wasted.

Flamanar

Reaction score
thanks for the info! I'm just nervous going from a 22+ year old Mansfield piece of junk toilet to one that barely uses any water. I'll be getting the Toto 1.28. Thanks again

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If your's was the 1992 1.6 gallon Mansfield, then yes, that was junk. We pull those out all the time. You may have a 3.5 from the time period, but those weren't so good either. There was a short period of time when they went from five to 3.5, and didn't really have that right either.

Flamanar

Reaction score
Looks like 1992 stamp on inside of tank. Looks like more than 1.6 gallon, but not positive. I have some pics of the interior of the tank I'll try to post, showing stamp marks. Might be able to identify it by those. It has a pink 'squishy foam rubber' tank-to-bowl gasket.

DSCF2781.jpgDSCF2780.jpgDSCF2773.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many of the original low-flow toilet were junk...they did not make functional changes to all of the parts, and just tried to use the old designs to produce an acceptable flush with a lower volume of water. IT just didn't work. Some have taken a much longer time to realize what it takes to work with a lower flush volume. If you look at the trap design of many of them, they have right-angle turns, which is not good for maintaining flow - things work much better when the curves are smooth and gradual.

Flamanar

Reaction score
Ok. I do have Crohns Disease, so a clean bowl wash may be important...but so is money. For something that does a reasonably good job on rinsing the bowl, would this model be ok? Or should I look for something else that would do a better job?? I doubt my wife would let me spend more than $300 for a toilet.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I would go with the CST744E. If it really doesn't give you enough bowl rinse, you can always just hold the handle down a little longer on any particularly-messy visits. We have two Original Drakes, and love them. The water does rinse all areas of the bowls, but because it's significantly-lower-flow, holding down the handle will give you a litle more rinse, which you may need for anything particularly-sticky. And it's a good value.

You can swap the flapper for a Korky 3" Large Adjustable flapper, which allows you to change the amount of water that empties from the tank. But the extra water is rarely-needed at our house, so Terry's suggestion of the handle on those occasions is the most efficient approach.

Flamanar

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. I'll settle on this Drake, then. Many thanks to everyone for all of your help/advice!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Let us know what you think after you get it in! And feel free to come back for installation tips if you're doing it yourself!

Flamanar

Reaction score
Thanks wjcandee! It actually arrived today (holy crap was that fast!). Packaging was exceptional, as was the price.

I did check both the tank and bowl for any defects right away. Both looked fine, no chips/cracks/etc.

One thing I had a question on: isn't the trapway supposed to be 'glazed'? And by 'glazed', do they mean 'shiny/reflective' like the exterior gloss of the toilet? Because looking into the bottom of the toilet and reaching my hand a ways in...it's not shiny smooth at all. But it's also not as rough as the underside of the toilet, either. Not sure what to think. Bowl is from Thailand. Tank is from USA. What do you think?

Flamanar

Reaction score
lol you're right. I do overthink things most of the time, though :) Install is delayed until I get the insurance funds (they may want another pic of the existing old/leaky toilet...long story). Thanks again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks