Toto CST454CEFG Drake II not Compatible with Danco Perfect Seal

Users who are viewing this thread

Leaky1

Reaction score
Anyone else have a problem seating a Toto CST454CEFG Drake II on a Danco Perfect Seal? Our installation is on new tile that is perfectly flat and I used a new Sioux Chief 884-ATMPK 4" X 3" Total Knockout Closet Flange that has an installed height of less than a 1/2”. Danco claims their Perfect Seal will work with flanges up to 1/2” above the floor.

I measured the depth under the toilet that the combination of the perfect seal and closet flange must not exceed and it measured 9/16”. I then put 9/16” spaces on the floor on either side of the closet flange and laid a piece of wood across the combination of the perfect seal and closet flange to see if it would compress enough for the piece of wood to touch both spaces. I found that the wood could not make contact with both spaces and rocked back and forth just like the toilet did when I tried to install it. I really wanted to use the perfect seal with out Toto toilet, but it does not appear to work.

Reach4

Reaction score
I cannot see how that could fix a wobbly toilet. A toilet should not be held up by the flange, but rather it is held up by the bottom of the toilet against the floor supplemented by shims to compensate and make the toilet level and steady.

It is the job of the flange to hold the toilet down so it cannot move sideways and to provide something for the seal to seal against. So when that flange on stilts device is used, it would be to bring the sealing surface higher so that the wax or replacement can seal right. It sounds as if you did not need that much extra elevation. How about a picture showing the flange area with the toilet not in place?

It sounds like you are saying that the perfect seal flange sits about 9/16 higher than the floor, and that is too tall I would think.
49_49_537464695352965.jpg

Edit: I was looking at http://www.danco.com/Products/Toilet-Parts/Toilet-Seals/Perfect-Seal/HydroSeat-Blue-10672 by mistake.

Still, 9/16 is very high.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
What Reach said. The flange is just an attachment point. It shouldn't affect whether the toilet rocks unless it is pushing up against the body of the toilet, which it wouldn't do at 1/2". The seal, if it says it can handle a 1/2" above-the-floor flange, should be able to compress between the flange and the toilet without propping it up so it can't rest on the floor.

If the tile is perfectly flat and the flange is installed basically-level, then the whole thing should be fine and shouldn't need shims and should dry-fit just fine when you put it down on the Perfect Seal. I'm not sure I understand your test methodology, or why you aren't just dropping the seal on your flange on your perfectly-level floor and dropping the toilet on top of that. That's the installation methodology and on a perfect floor there should be minimal need for shims.

Also, do you chuck the blue thing when the flange is above the floor? I have played with the Sani Seal and the Korky waxless seal, but not the Perfect Seal, although I have watched the video.

Last edited:

Leaky1

Reaction score
I tried the installation procedure and it appears the seal is pushing up against the bottom of the toilet. I used two wooden block spaces that are 9/16” high and a 2x4 to prove that was the case. Below are photographs of the flange before and after the perfect seal was installed.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Somebody on this forum mentioned there was a problem with Toto toilets and the Danco Perfect Seal in an older post, but they did not go into detail. I also just found someone else with the same problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Nice looking tile and flange installation!

I can't see how that would preclude the toilet from touching the floor. The depth of the area around the horn should be sufficient to accommodate the depth of the contraption, unless the perspective of the shot makes it appear lower than it is. The bad part of the Danco solution is all the goo it extrudes everywhere to create the "seal". Seems to me that the "no muss, no fuss" thinking behind creating the product in the first place is better accomplished by the Korky approach or the SaniSeal:

6000BP_out.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks