Toto back-to-back installations

Users who are viewing this thread

Leslie Fox

Reaction score
I'd like to install two toilets, preferably both Drake ADA elongated, back-to-back, one in each of two bathrooms. But in reading the installation directions, I'm not sure it's possible. My 30 year old condo is on a ground floor cement slab and the pipes are below grade. The installation of a double combination Wye 1/8 bend is not possible. I assume the necessity has to do with the flushing power. Is it too strong for my present infrastructure? Even for one Toto? Flushing both toilets simultaneously is unlikely, but it could happen. What are my options here? Would any other Toto flushing system work? If Toto is not possible, what other brand/model would you recommend? I'd like to know before I commit to a purchase and hire a plumber. Surely I'm not the first person to have this issue. Thanks very much for your advice on this holiday weekend.
Toiling Over Toilet Decisions in Delray Beach

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It may be that the underslab plumbing for that in not plumber per say, "back to back" at all.
When I do groundworks, I don't install crosses on on the vertical.
Two moderern bowls installed on a back to back double fixture cross may lower the water in an opposing bowl sometimes. Or they may not.
I have a situation in my home, second floor bath, where one bowl will lose a little. Not a big deal. I still like the fact that these things don't plug, and flush very well.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....n-flushing-another-back-to-back-toilet.46995/

Last edited:

Leslie Fox

Reaction score
It may be that the underslab plumbing for that in not plumber per say, "back to back" at all.
When I do groundworks, I don't install crosses on on the vertical.
Two moderern bowls installed on a back to back double fixture cross may lower the water in an opposing bowl sometimes. Or they may not.
I have a situation in my home, second floor bath, where one bowl will lose a little. Not a big deal. I still like the fact that these things don't plug, and flush very well.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/toilet-bowl-empties-when-flushing-another-back-to-back-toilet.46995/

Terry, thanks for your prompt reply on a holiday weekend.
I've read the forum and my understanding now is this: (1) the connecting plumbing for my adjacent bathroom toilets may, in fact, not be under the slab, but in the common wall. (2) any newer toilet might also cause the same low water or splashing issues. (3) the issues may not be a big deal. (4) I should probably install the Drake(s) and see what happens before I tear into the wall. Do you agree? Any other advice?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would just install them.
There were only a few homes in the 60's and older that may have been plumbed with a double santee.
Most homes have better plumbing than that.
In the 70's we were installing double fixture fittings, that not perfect, were certainly better than the double santee.
With new installations, I would be looking at a double wye now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks