Toto Aquia - keeps running as though tank is still filling

Users who are viewing this thread

metropxp

Reaction score
We have the dual flush and have been happy with it. Every year or so I get some noise after filling and replace the cap and move on. Recently, however, the one in the master bath sounds like it keeps running.

The odd thing is if you flush the toilet in the main bath or turn on the water in either of the bathrooms, the running water at the toilet stops for a few minutes.

Any ideas as to what's going on? Incidentally, my profile lists me as "DIY Junior Member." It really should be "Knows Enough to be Dangerous! :D

In the interest of full disclosure we have town water, but it comes from an artesian well (or so I'm told). As a result, the previous home owners installed a water softener which we still maintain. We did have to replace a couple of faucets when we first moved in due to hard water stains/buildup.

I didn't know if the softener salts could affect the workings of the Toto Aquia.

Thanks,

JT

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Is the water level in the tank filling to the proper level then shutting off properly?
Is the water in the tank then draining into the bowl through a leaking flush valve and when it drains down enough the fill valve turns on and refills the tank to the proper level.
This can be verified by die testing with food coloring, if the color gets into the bowl without flushing it is leaking!

In which case you need to service the flush valve.
Here is the instruction manual.

metropxp

Reaction score
Terry, I'm confused:

"If you replace the assembly cap, remember to remove the "flow reducer" and reuse it in the new cap. It's a little green sleeve that fits inside the fill port on the cap."

Is the assembly cap the same as the Quiet Fill replacement cap? If so, what is the "flow reducer?" I've never removed it before.

metropxp

Reaction score
Never mind. Long story short...I got a bad cap. "It couldn't be the cap, I just replaced it." New one seems to be doing the trick.

Although I am still curious about the "flow reducer." What is it and where do I find it within the mechanism?

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Never mind. Long story short...I got a bad cap. "It couldn't be the cap, I just replaced it." New one seems to be doing the trick.

Although I am still curious about the "flow reducer." What is it and where do I find it within the mechanism?

On the cap where the refill tube connects to has a green insert in it for the Aquia the regular cap does not.

Attachments

• 42823995_1.jpg
    42823995_1.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,628

metropxp

Reaction score
CURSES...Foiled again. Toilet is running again even with the new cap. A few questions, but first thank you to all the experts and DIY folks for sharing their knowledge.

Now: 1) Do I NEED the flow reducer? This is about the third time I've swapped out the cap (once a year, basically) and never knew about the flow reducer. Could this be the root of problems?

2) Exactly how does the float work on this Quiet Fill valve when it come to stopping the water flow? The way the toilet is running right now, if I had an old fashioned mechanism I would just adjust the float arm. On this, since the float just clips onto the fill valve, what is it activating/affecting to stop the flow?

The reason I ask is the tank fills, but the water still runs just a bit. You can see the water in bowl shaking a little bit. When take the cap off the fill valve and jiggle the float it stops for a moment, although if you lift it too high, it really makes the water flow.

I was going to just replace the whole fill valve, but how do you get underneath the tank to disconnect it? The cowling on the bowl is so big I can barely fit my hand up there to reach the water supply. Do you need to remove the tank from the bowl?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks