Toto Aquia II install problem

Users who are viewing this thread

ak212

Reaction score
I'm trying to install an Aquia II but am stuck at the tank-mounting stage.

The problem is that the mounting bolts (pointing up from the toilet bowl) do not protrude into the tank when I set the tank on the bowl.

Either the bolts are too short or the rubber gasket that goes on the bottom of the tank is too thick. (It seems really thick--the tank is not even close to flush with the toilet.) I'm using all of the standard install hardware that came with the toilet.

Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks,

AK

Last edited:

ak212

Reaction score
Here's a photo of the inside of the tank. Bolts don't reach into the tank, so I can't get the nuts into them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 380

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Okay, I forgot that this product does have kind of an unusual installation procedure. Let me look.

I would double-check how you have put the gasket over the flush valve protrusion on the bottom of the tank. Make sure it's flush with the bottom of the tank. It is thick, but you're going to compress it as you tighten the bolts to get a sturdy tank. You will hold the tank straight, and tighten the nuts side to side, a little bit at a time, until the three points of contact are just short of touching, about the thickness of a few sheets of paper. You will crack it if you go tighter after they touch, and you need to be careful because one may touch before the others, but you won't hurt anything by tightening until they almost touch. That will compress the gasket a lot. If you end up going in less-than-straight, just loosen the bolts and start again. It took me 3 tries the first time I attached a Toto tank. After that, cake.

Assuming that everything is as it should be and you are following the directions, I can only suggest that you try pushing down on the tank a bit so you can get the nuts on the bolts.

Also, I don't see the rubber washer in your photo. In the tank the rubber washer should be at the bottom, with the metal washer on top of it and the nut on top of the metal washer. Rubber washer, metal washer, nut. (This is a very unique arrangement; we yell at people all the time for putting the metal washer in the tank on other toilets, because on those it causes leaks, but here it does not, because on those the bolt head goes in the tank; here the nut goes in the tank, so it needs a metal washer to compress the rubber washer.)

Terry installs hundreds of Aquias, so he may have some tips on this particular issue.

Last edited:

ak212

Reaction score
Thanks. I verified that the gasket was sitting flush and tried pushing down (quite hard) on the tank. Not even close. Bolts they included are way too short.

I ended up going to the hardware store and buying stainless carriage bolts with the same thread but about 1/2 inch longer. That seems to have done the trick. I sanded the contact areas for the three rubber seals and tightened the two nuts slowly, one at a time, as recommended by Terry.

That seems to have worked. The toilet's running nicely with no leaks. Hopefully the longer bolts don't cause any unintended problems but for now it seems fine.

I have to say that this is a tricky install for a DIYer relative to a typical toilet. (Fortunately this site is a great help.) The Aquia looks nice though, so it was worth the extra hassle.

Thanks for the advice,

A

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I have to say that this is a tricky install for a DIYer relative to a typical toilet. (Fortunately this site is a great help.) The Aquia looks nice though, so it was worth the extra hassle.

It's definitely a more-involved installation, but you were up to the task! The length of the bolts you bought won't make any difference at all; the only issue could be the material used in the bolts, and in normal water they should be fine.

Most people who install an Aquia love it! Enjoy!

Reach4

Reaction score
Carriage bolts have the square part under the head. That's what you used?
CARRIAGE%20BOLT-02.jpg

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Carriage bolts have the square part under the head. That's what you used?
CARRIAGE%20BOLT-02.jpg
Seems like if the square part fits in the hole, okay. If not, it could crack the porcelain eventually because it's distributing the pressure of compressing the gasket onto a much smaller area around the holes.

ak212

Reaction score
Seems like if the square part fits in the hole, okay. If not, it could crack the porcelain eventually because it's distributing the pressure of compressing the gasket onto a much smaller area around the holes.

I don't think what I used had a square part. So I think it's OK.

ak212

Reaction score
It's definitely a more-involved installation, but you were up to the task! The length of the bolts you bought won't make any difference at all; the only issue could be the material used in the bolts, and in normal water they should be fine.

Most people who install an Aquia love it! Enjoy!

Thanks!

A

ATX_Vinny

Reaction score
I experienced this same issue and found this thread very helpful, so thanks to all. I also talked with Toto Support, and they had a great suggestion - warm the rubber gasket in hot water before attaching to the tank and dropping on the base. The rubber is soft when manufactured, but hardens in storage, making it difficult to compress during installation. Once it was kind of hot, it was easy to push down the tank and fasten the bolts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks