Toto Aquia dual flush toilet product review, comments and posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A closet flange works better if it's installed over the flooring.
Often you don't see that though. If a standard closet flange in installed over or on top of the flooring, then one wax ring works.
If the closet flange is on the subfloor and then the overlay and tile is cut around the flange, then a second wax ring would be needed.

Yes, a standard closet flange.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are lots of models of toilet flange. The preferred one has a SS metal ring rather than the painted steel one. Now, you shouldn't get any leaks there, but the SS one will be fine 50-years from now, but the steel one might be dust. This assumes you have plastic pipe (pvc or abs).

MadDogH2o

Reaction score
Toto Aquia water supply location

Here's the deal. I want to install a Toto Aquia. Toto says I can't do it because the water supply MUST be per their 8-10 inch recommendation.
My current measurements are: 6 inches from water supply valve to the center of closet flange;
5 inches (height) from floor to water supply (this may lessen with new pebble tile install);
12 inches from finished wall to center of flange (this is an estimation - won't know exact measurements until I take out existing toilet.)

From what I can see from this blog, I CAN install despite the TOTO recommendations.

But since I am clueless when it comes to things like this, I don't understand how this is possible. I can't find the actual dimension of the back skirt area of the Aquia or Nexus. Is this important?

Is there anyway I can install an Aquia or Nexus without having to move the water supply?
If so, HOW and which models will work and do I need to buy some special adapter on the water supply. Or should I just plan on moving water supply?
Thanks so much for your help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have plenty of room.
They say eight inches for every toilet as a safe recommendation.
With the Aquia, you can have it behind the bowl.

attachment.php

Mary Jean

Reaction score
Terry, I am new on here. I was planning to do the Consumer Report recommendation for Gerbers Dual Flush until I saw your experience. Thanks for heads up.
I have studied your recommendations. Am considering using Aquia; want best performance and conserve water, have elongated bowl and ADA height. What is better the 412 or the 464? (The 414 you recommend is lower height; MaP seems better on the 412 than 464 from what I found.)
Also considering Drake II (454) for different bathroom - is that as good as regular Drake (744) you recommend? My plumber is able to get better price on Drake II right now. Thanks in advance. mj

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The style of the toilets are different between the Drake and the Aquia...the Drake II is newer than the original Drake, and if that style was to my liking, I'd go with it verses the original Drake. From what I hear, it has better bowl wash and is easier to keep clean. Less expensive is also a bonus!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Drake II is good.
On the Aquia, we sell the CST416, CST464, and CST412
Those are all pretty equal. The CST414 would be a factory order.
I don't think you have to worry. I've been selling all of these for years with very good results.

x77dude

Reaction score
A client asked me to install a Toto Aquia II toilet in his master bath. He has a concrete slab subfloor, and I didn't bring the proper tools to drill the holes for the mounting blocks. The whole mounting system that Toto uses is completely foreign to me. I seemed to miss the holes in the bottom of the skirt where screws connect the toilet to the mounting blocks? Is this the way these toilets mount? I was somehow under the impression that the toilet "snapped" down over the mounting blocks. This would seem to make "uninstalling" these toilets next to impossible. Obviously (I hope!) I'm missing something here. I was recommending the Kohler Cimarron, but my client is short and doesn't WANT a "comfort height" toilet. Comments would be appreciated.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A client asked me to install a Toto Aquia II toilet in his master bath. He has a concrete slab subfloor, and I didn't bring the proper tools to drill the holes for the mounting blocks. The whole mounting system that Toto uses is completely foreign to me. I seemed to miss the holes in the bottom of the skirt where screws connect the toilet to the mounting blocks? Is this the way these toilets mount? I was somehow under the impression that the toilet "snapped" down over the mounting blocks. This would seem to make "uninstalling" these toilets next to impossible. Obviously (I hope!) I'm missing something here. I was recommending the Kohler Cimarron, but my client is short and doesn't WANT a "comfort height" toilet. Comments would be appreciated.

This installation guide should help answer all your questions.

Yes you are going to need to drill and fasten it to the floor.
It's not as hard as it looks, try Tapcon screws with the concrete floor.

Renov8ing

Reaction score
Am I eventually going to love my Aquia the way other people seem to? I hate it! There doesn't seem to be enough water in the bowl to do anything. I have to wash the toilet bowl daily, unless I want guests to think I haven't washed it in decades. Today, I dropped a poop from my daughter's diaper into the toilet and flushed it within 10 seconds, yet the bowl remained dirty. What gives??? Hellllllpppppppp. :(

Mcdonaldb

Reaction score
I ordered a Drake in Colonial White and a matching Self closing Seat in the same color, the seat box says colonial white on the sticker, but its not exactly the same color as the toilet, is there a product code on the seat anywhere, i cannot seem to find one, how do i know what color seat i got? Or are the seats not perfect matches to the toilets?

Robibub

Reaction score
We just bought a CST412MF but it hasn't been installed yet. I've ready good and bad about the dual flush models with regard to staining, as well as the amount of water they hold and how well they take away the waste. We have a single flush Toto in a half bath and love it. We wanted the dual flush for some versatility in the master bath and that's why we got it. Have we made a mistake? Will this stain regularly and/or not take the waste away on one flush? What about this trickling sound I read about? Lastly, does anyone know if the model we got is ADA? It says it's "universal" height, and I'm not sure if that means it is or isn't ADA height. Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Universal Height is ADA when the seat is added.

I've sold maybe 300 of the Aquia toilets, many being repeat purchases.
There is more bowl surface then on the Drake, but the water does rinse the bowl down.
Any new bowl since 1992 uses less water and has more bowl surface. Most of the time, everthing will be fine. And if not, that's that a toilet brush is for. Some people report that everything will flush with the half flush, 0.90 gallons.
Some of this depends on diet. If you love Hersey's chocolate, then you might need the brush sometimes.

While the bowl is refilling, you can hear water in the trapway until the bowl is completly filled. Not a big deal, and after you've had it a while you forget it's there.
If you have a refridgerator in the home, you will hear the motor humming, the icemaker filling trays, the channel changer on the tv clicking sometimes, the sliding door making a rustling sound everytime someone opens the door, so, so many sounds in a home. Even the creaking of the wood as the home cools during the night, and then creaking again when the sun comes up.
If you can't deal with hearing some water, then a solid porcelain trapway may be better.
For most, it's not an issue. Clocks make a tick, tick sound too. Noise, noise everywhere.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Most toilets are entirely porcelain in the bowl and trap. Some Toto models use a plastic adapter (those that use the Unifit, and a different version for the Aquia, and some others). The plastic doesn't insulate sounds as well as porcelain. 99% of the sound happens in the first few seconds of a flush, and is kind of irrelevant. Because the bowl is typically filled to the brim, any time you add something to it, a little water trickles out down the drain. This is the sound people are talking about. After the first week, you don't notice it, like the sound of a new clock.

ADA requirements dictate more than one feature (seat height is only one of them), so that toilet may not be ADA, but comfort height generally qualifies for that particular part of it.

A dual-flush toilet must be able to totally empty the bowl on the smaller flush. As a result, the water spot in them is typically smaller than a single mode toilet. If you push the right button, it will flush what's there. But, if you don't hit the water spot, you're more likely to have some skid marks that may not wash off in the first flush. How serious, if a problem at all, depends somewhat on your diet and how you sit on the seat.

Last edited:

Robibub

Reaction score
Thank you all for the helpful info. I feel better about our purchase. I had also read that there are gaskets around the base of the tank and perhaps one other place I do not recall that tend to leak over time in the dual flush toto, or even at the beginning if it's not torqued really very tight. Anyone heard of this? Otherwise, I'm looking forward to many years of faithful and carefree service. Thanks again.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have sold three hundred of the two-piece Aquia toilets. I have less then 1/2 of one percent returns.
Pretty much perfect.

All of my customers know how to install one.
You simply tighten the bolts evenly. It's that simple.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Here is the one-piece version of the Aquia.
Now you pull the bowl from the box and stick it down on the flange adapter and over the mounting blocks.
No need to even install the tank, it's all molded in.
MS654204MF, comes with a SS204 Softclose seat.

ms654_cunningham_side.jpg

Last edited:

Abarclay

Reaction score
Just thought I would throw my two cents in here. I installed this toilet and had a leak on the left tank bolt. I tried removing the tank and re-installing several times. I tried sanding the inside of the toilet around the hole and re-installing. I went so far as to alternate tightening the tank bolts a quarter turn each until they were tight. I tried over-tightening to the point where I was worried the tank would crack (thank goodness it didn't). Each time, it leaked. Finally, I used a coat of RTV silicone on the rubber washer that seals inside the tank. This fixed the leak. I'm not sure what else I could have done, but now the toilet is working great.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks