Toto Aquia Defective or Plumber No Good?

Users who are viewing this thread

MrsHenderson

Reaction score
I hired a licensed plumber to install my Toto Aquia the other day. He tells me over the phone it will be about $100 for the install. He arrives and when he sees my toilet of choice he asks me why I bought this toilet. I told him I liked the look of it for this bath and the dual flush and I have two Toto's upstairs - and did he have a problem with Toto. He said he likes Toto toilets, but thought this one was a little "over engineered". Okay, whatever, just go ahead and install it. So he does and it takes him longer than he thought to do it and he says, "Did I say $100?" And I say, "Go ahead and charge me what you think is fair." So he charges me $200 in the end... which I think is a bit much, but whatever, I'm due to give birth to my 2nd child in 2 days. Well, that night the toilet is leaking (it seems from one of the seals between the tank and the toilet). So I call him and he comes out the next day and tells me that the one seal (between the tank and the toilet) is "weird" because it's straight up and down and not like a bell like "normal" toilets and whatever, he's going to replace it. So he does and it's now leaking worse and his attitude is, "What do you want me to do?

Now, the problem is the long weekend. Can't get Toto on the phone to discuss my options and I'm not sure calling a new plumber's going to help. Is it possible there is something defective about the toilet? I thought toilets were simple creatures.

Any advice, opinions are welcome - until I can get Toto on the phone on Wednesday.

TIA - Mrs H :)

Complete Instructions for the Aquia written by Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If Terry checks in he should be able to help, not sure if it will be fixed B4 Wed.. Maybe you will have #2 B4 then anyway and this will be the last thing on your mind.

RRW

Reaction score
In the meantime shut off the water to the toilet at the little valve that comes out of the wall or floor, flush it, get a plastic bucket and fill it half full from the tub and place it next to the toilet. Use the bucket to flush until you get things squared away. You don't need to be worrying about a leaky toilet at this time. Good Luck

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The straight rubber washer between the tank and bowl is not the problem.

It can be installed either way. There doesn't seem to be an up or down with it. I would have him put that back in.
drake_sand_bolt3.jpg

Tanks now are pretty rough on the inside.
On all the brands now, I'm using some emory cloth and smoothing them down where the bolts drop through.

There have even been times when I've had to remove the flush valve and sand there too.

aquia_inside_tank.jpg

The bolts should look like these, washer on top of the black rubber washer.

I charge $179 for my expert installations.
The Aquia should be at $200 but since I'm selling those too, I keep it at $179
I would rather I do it,
than a handyman that doesn't really like to
or know how to plumb do the job.
It's not rocket science if you can read instructions.

These have been selling for six years in Tailand, and I've sold about 150 in the Seattle area as of July 2008.
They have been working well.

Last edited:

MrsHenderson

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply!

Here is a pic of the interior:

IMG_5204.jpg

It looks like he did it right. And I saw him using the template and reading the instructions and he is a licensed plumber with experience so I don't think he's bumbled it. I can ask him to come back and sand the tank and reinstall the seal he replaced and see if that helps.

So, just to confirm, you don't think it's a defective toilet - it may just need some sanding?

Thanks again :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Show hiim this post on the puter when he comes.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
MrsHenderson said:
I hired a licensed plumber to install my Toto Aquia the other day. He tells me over the phone it will be about $100 for the install. He arrives and when he sees my toilet of choice he asks me why I bought this toilet. I told him I liked the look of it for this bath and the dual flush and I have two Toto's upstairs - and did he have a problem with Toto. He said he likes Toto toilets, but thought this one was a little "over engineered". Okay, whatever, just go ahead and install it. So he does and it takes him longer than he thought to do it and he says, "Did I say $100?" And I say, "Go ahead and charge me what you think is fair." So he charges me $200 in the end... which I think is a bit much, but whatever...[...]

If it's any consolation I had the identical experience (without the leak).
And I know others as well. It's an unfamiliar installation for most plumbers.
They aren't happy about it even when they charge 50-100% more.

and yep....I was made to feel foolish for buying such an exotic item. It was MY fault it took 2 hours+ to install...right?
You shouldn't have to put up with crap like that from a licensed plumber simply because he has to read a couple pages of instructions. Too bad

Do you know how many of these toilets were installed in Thailand in the last 6 years.....into sub standard jury rigged situations by guys with an 8th grade education? many thousands.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sanding the tank will do it.

I gave one of these to my girl friend, and it gets more comments than anything she has ever done to her house.
Her kids love it.

I have one in my house too. That and the SG Ultramax downstairs.

Jamie's comment is:
When tightening the tank to the bowl, give the screw a tweak or two, and then the other side.
It's important that the tank goes down evenly, sort of like torquing the heads on a car.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Terry, I haven't done any Totos. The photo showing a metal washer between the bolt head and the rubber goes against what we have always done. Is this some kind of special seal?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Jimbo,

I would say maybe three models of Toto do the metal washer thing.

The rest assemble like any typical toilet.
Things like the Drake are the most trouble free installing toilets you will ever see.

Every once in a while, I will have to do another brand, and they are just a crap shoot when it comes to quaility.

If my business wasn't mainly Toto, I would shift back to roughin plumbing.
I spent 24 years mainly doing residential and commercial plumbing, before I started selling toilets that work.
It's an odd thing to do after so many years of plumbing, but then it was odd when toilets changed so dramatically too.

inquirer22

Reaction score
We installed last night and we are not having any leaking. We didn't sand anything. I'm glad you guys were able to give Mrs Henderson help.

neoikon

Reaction score
MrsHenderson said:
I will have him come back and sand the tank and hope it works - thanks so much for your help :)

Did he make it back to sand it? Did it fix the problem?

I installed 2 of these Aquia toilets yesterday and they are both leaking. One, I'm pretty sure is coming from the tank (or the water supply/fill valve connection). The other I have not identified the source yet. I am going to go back and try the sanding trick and hope for the best.

Other than the sanding trick, is there any other special trick that needs to be done to prevent leaking? Does the connection between the tank and the PVC/Plastic need to be sanded as well? Is there any special grit or level of sandpaper that's recommended?

On a related topic, I have this loud dripping sound where it sounds like it is coming from inside somewhere. I am not sure if this is part of the leaking problem or if its coming from inside the PVC area and is not an actual leak. Is this a normal sound?

Thanks!
Daniel

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For awhile after filling, there can be a little trickle of water that escapes over the weir in the toilet. You will also notice it when you add something to the bowl. Think of the water in the bowl as basically as full as it can get - you add anything, a little overflows and goes down the drain.

Make sure that the rubber washer is under the metal one when you assemble the bolts, etc, or it will leak.

neoikon

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
For awhile after filling, there can be a little trickle of water that escapes over the weir in the toilet. You will also notice it when you add something to the bowl. Think of the water in the bowl as basically as full as it can get - you add anything, a little overflows and goes down the drain.

Make sure that the rubber washer is under the metal one when you assemble the bolts, etc, or it will leak.

Yeah, that's what I was suspecting. I wish the design was better to not cause that sound. It really makes it sound like it was installed wrong or the toilet is old and has leaky washers (even though it doesn't). Sounds like someone is peeing right there with me!

Otherwise, very happy with the toilet!

Thanks for the reply!
Daniel

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I just smile every time I see someone getting annoyed with this brief trickle noise from the Aquia.

It's the biggest Non-Issue of all time.

Reminds me of my of one of my desert dogs.

She digs a big hole in the backyard--then barks at the hole....:D

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Your Dog must be an Australian Cattle dog (blue heeler). They are the most nurotic dogs I have ever seen.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks