Toto Aquia 2 piece toilet leaking around base

Users who are viewing this thread

Pvel

Reaction score
I replaced a fill valve on this toilet using a Korky valve. To do so I separated the tank from the bowl. Now the fill valve works fine but I notice a damp patch around the base of the toilet on the ceramic tile floor. I cannot see water leaking around the tank onto the floor. I wonder if I did not tighten the bolts holding the tank to the seat tight enough. How do I know if I need to tighten more? I don't want to crack the tank. How to troubleshoot? Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is a rubber seal between tank and bowl. That should be there.
Did you use a new supply line when replacing the fill valve?
You can hand snug the screws holding the tank and get them pretty tight.
Or you may have some residual water from doing the repair.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ion-instructions-written-by-jamie-love.12606/

aquia_inside_tank.jpg

Last edited:

Pvel

Reaction score
Thanks Terry, I reused the supply line and the rubber ring between the tank and the seat. I guess if there is a leak where the supply line attaches to the tank, that could be the source. But of course I have to pull off the tank to inspect. Kind of inconvenient but I'll tighten the tank bolts and if still leaks, pull the tank and look at the supply line attachment to the tank, maybe use silicone tape at the suppl line attachment.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
No tape for the supply line. Those have their own seal. I can't tell you how many times I have had to pull tape off to fix leaks.

Pvel

Reaction score
Ok I checked the bolts and they are pretty hand tight. I felt the supply line with my fingers and it did not seem damp. Should I put a new rubber ring between the toilet and the seat. Is that a common source of water seeping around the base onto the tile? I hope it's not the wax ring. Why would it be? I didn't mess with that for this repair. The outside of the seat is not damp. Could the water be seeping internally around the ring and ending up on the floor? Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you didn't touch the bowl, it should be fine.
All you did was remove the tank?

Are you sure it's not water from the repair? If so, it should dry up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks