Toto annoyances after many years

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I certainly will not dispute the lady's complaint about urine splashing on her, but I will say that I have 2 Toto toilets with elongated bowls and my wife has never experienced the problem she describes, and this is the first such complaint that I have seen registered on this forum. I do wonder if perhaps her toilet is a standard height rather than ADA or Comfort Height. At 6'1" an ADA or Comfort Height would certainly be in order for her and this might well cure the problem.

Reaction score
Speaking of urine splashback, ever since the popularity of the elongated bowls, I have come to DESPISE them. With the shape of the bowl, for my female anatomy, the urine hits the portion of the elongated bowl that is not covered with the water spot and I am often drenched with urine all over my legs, bottom, etc. Due to the popularity of these in the workplace, it's a daily disgusting occurrence. It's not that I am not sitting back far enough, I am 6'1" and sit all the way back, so I am assuming that it must be happening to women everywhere.

Sounds like you are doing the opposite of what might work. Have you tried not sitting "all the way back." Sit forward, just like what one of those detestable round bowls does in effect. If you sit back you are aiming your plumbing toward the back of your legs rather than the water spot. Even if you have the same angle down into the toilet, the angle to the rim is shallower if you sit back rather than forward. (Think "soccer goalie defense" against an unimpeded opponent, you rush forward to create a poor shot angle for the attacker.) Posture enters into this so the tilt of your hips could be the determining factor alone or in combination. Hit the water spot and this is unlikely to be an issue.

I'll have to quiz my wife and daughter about this...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
After think about this for a few hours and talking to my wife, I have a couple of observations. First, there clearly IS a problem, so we need to see if we can determine what the problem may be. There really can only be two possible causes. Either the toilet design is to blame or the problem lies with the user. Let's use some logic here. There have been many thousands of low flow toilets sold since they became the law of the land. While not everyone subscribes to this forum, there are many who bring concerns and problems, but until now, not one that I can recall has ever had this complaint. This makes me skeptical that the problem lies in the design of the toilet. I think Runs With Bison makes a good point about sitting location. I also still wonder about the bowl height. I also wonder if perhaps the problem could be peculiar to this user's anatomy. Let me make it clear that I realize this gets into a very personal subject, and I mean no offense, but perhaps the apparatus is just not pointing in quite the right direction. I might be something to be discussed with a urologist.

ajalberg

Reaction score
I realize now, I'm pretty much discussing this with you Terry,
Bottom line is all I want to do is replace my Drake with a toilet that has a more comfortable seat, and that doesn't leave visible streaks where the water flows and misses areas of the bowl when it runs straight down the bowl during flushing. Even my ultra max leaves the same streaking. I notice a great deal of the flow is set for the front of the toilet, and I wonder why the emphasis of flow is not based in the rear 1/2 of the toilet. It reminds me of the big rain shower heads that don't get enough water when they are used with the shower side of a tub assembly. You have to plumb it backwards, or drill the outlet hole to a larger size. I also understand the realities of the uni fit, but whenever I install them, just like a rain shower, I fix them up so they will work better than they are manufactured. I personally don't like hard lines anywhere in a flushing system. So I sand down the uni fit. I'm pretty sure a cyclonic rinsing toilet will suit my needs. I just wanted to know if there were any other great toilets on the market. I have been using Toto's for over 10 years, I think based on your site, and no one has really made any recommendations of other toilets in all this time. Is there no competition? thanks for persevering aj

Reaction score
I asked my wife and daughter about this individually (since we transitioned from round to elongated bowls a few years ago) they both frowned and looked at me as if I was nuts. So as Gary says I'm not suggesting this isn't happening, but rather it is more likely a function of the user's anatomy and/or posture when urinating. I'm not inclined to believe it is a medical condition although that is possible. There are many body types and postures.

I expect it is caused by the angle one sits on the toilet. As an analogy think of chairs. A chair that I find comfortable may be intolerable for others and vice versa...some seats or seat backs torture me while others don't seem to experience any discomfort from using them. Differences in posture and body mass have a lot of influence on which ones we prefer (my posture has never been great even when I was boxing competitively and running distance races in my 20's and 30's.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks