Toto and Sweating

Users who are viewing this thread

tally

Reaction score
I live in Minnesota and we have cold water. I would like to buy a non-insulated Drake or the Ultramax. Does anyone have any issues with these toilets sweating in the Summer months?

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The low-flush toilets are better than the older models because they don't flush all of the water out of the bowl - they use the height of the water in the tank to help with the pressure, but stop before it is empty. This means that the cold incoming water is first mixed with the (probably ) warmer water there, and second, not as much is there, so it may contain water that has been tempered somewhat from being stored inside. But, if you have a marathon series of bathroom breaks, the water in the lines and the water stored in the tank will get the full cold water shot, and probably will cause it to sweat. Keep in mind too that insulation just slows the transfer of heat - flush the toilet often enough and the tank wil still get cold enough to sweat.

Can't comment directly on the Drake...my mother has two in the house, no a/c, and I've not noticed any problems, but I'm not there very often.

tally

Reaction score
Thanks!

Any other thoughts or input on this...I cannot reach my plumbing to go with a mixing valve. I am pretty much narrowed down to the Ultramax toilet.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I do not think any particular brand is more or less susceptible to sweating. If you have high humidity in the house, and use the toilet a lot, you may have an issue.

Actually, there are two exceptions to what I just said:
1) The Niagara, which is not a great toilet
2) Any pressure assisted toilet.

In both of these cases, the water is contained in an inner vessel, and never actually touches the porcelain of the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks