Toto and Kohler questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Hapuna

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

First question is I will be installing a Toto Drake in my home (C744EG Bowl with a ST743S tank). This should be the 1.6 gpf version. I understand that the ecoDrake (1.28 gpf) has some differences in the tank. What would it take to convert mine to an eco version (replace the tank or is it simpler than that)?

Second question has to do with the original Kohler toilets (possibly Wentworth?) that were manufactured in 1994. They seemed to work OK for many years (with the aid of an occasional plunger), for now seem to plug on a more regular basis. I've attempted to clean the bowl with muriatic acid, and the wash in the bowl seems fine. I've also augered with no better results. This happens on more than one toilet. No other plumbing problems. Is Kohlers design that bad? Are there any mods to make them work better?

Thanks,

Hapuna

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1994 Kohler Wellworth with the high tank and the skinny trapway?
None worse.

As far as converting a G-Max to Eco Flush,
Buy the Eco flapper with the weight, and that is most of it.
The Eco tank also comes with it's own fill valve, but the bowls are the same.

The flapper is most of it.

Hapuna

Reaction score
Thanks Terry!

Looks like the eco flapper's part number is THU277S. You state that it has a weight.......is it an actual weight or a float like many of the others that allow less water the higher the "float", or more the lower it's placed?

Hapuna

attachment.php

The weight is clipped onto the chain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
The 1994 toilets are pretty awful as I can attest with the 1994 Gerbers. 150 MaP rating is typical for the 1994's vs. 600 rating for standard height elongated ecoDrakes, 900 for elongated ADA height, and 500 for the rounds. I've gotten one problematic Gerber working decently by cutting out the baffle to make it a 3.6 gpf flush...of course on the rare occasions it does plug now it overflows the diminutive bowl...ugghhhhh. I've done the same on several toilets in other houses for the same reasons.

As to why you might be plugging more recently, have you changed toilet paper? The 1994's I have are incredibly sensitive to the amount of TP used. Combine a semi-soft stool (not hard, not loose, just soft) with about 12+ sheets of standard double-ply paper and it makes a difficult to clear plug. Courtesy flushing before wiping seems to do the trick, but occasionally we forget or the toilet randomly acts up for reasons only known to the Deity of Porcelain. I've literally pulled a few extra sheets and said to myself, "This might be a problem" only to have it confirmed a few seconds later. :( This reminds me of an old George Carlin routine about not feeling sorry for people who get food poisoning, because they can tell you exactly what it was that made them sick. "If you knew it would make you sick, why did you eat it?"

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Thanks Terry!

Looks like the eco flapper's part number is THU277S. You state that it has a weight.......is it an actual weight or a float like many of the others that allow less water the higher the "float", or more the lower it's placed?

Hapuna

attachment.php

The weight is clipped onto the chain.

It's a float so it will still allow the flapper to raise, but it's a weight when the water leaves the tank it has enough weight to push the flapper down sooner allowing less water to leave the tank.

Hapuna

Reaction score
Drake installed

I got the Drake installed and so far love it!

I took the Kohler bowl apart (with a hammer) and was surprised that everything looked good....no blockages, the trap was clean, and the bowl holes were all clear. Was not impressed with the quality control. I suspect that it was just the bad design that caused all these problems.

Thanks for everyones help!

Hapuna

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks