Toto 1,28 Drake versus Toto 1.6 Eco Drake (same price)

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by JLM, Jul 28, 2010.

1. JLM

JLM New Member

Sorry if this questioned has been asked! I am doing a renovation and replacing 4 toilets (3 on ground level, 1 above garage in new bathroom). I can get the 1.28 Eco Drake or the 1.6 Drake for the same price. I originally liked the idea of less water and saving money (water is not cheap in Florida). I also never thought buying a toilet would be so complicated. Anyway, which is the recommended path? Am I wrong is thinking that the 1.28 Eco Drake can be a 1.6 Drake by just holding the flush handle down a little longer???

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

They weight the flapper down on the 1.28.
    They flush fine with the lower 1.28, but if more water is needed, then holding the handle down a bit longer gives you that.

In Seattle I still have some CST744E Toto Eco Drakes for $20.00 less until I have to reorder.
    Then they go back to same/same.
    I also have the Drake II CST454CEFG for $35.00 less until I run out and have to reorder.
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

The Drake II CST454CEFG is a big time favorite of mine. I consider it to be the best value in the whole Toto line.

ADA, Sanagloss, and the double cyclone flush for an improved bowl wash how can you go wrong?
  4. jdon88

jdon88 New Member

I was weighing the same decision a few weeks ago and went for the 1.28. So far no problems, its amazing how little water is used. I've used nothing but pre-94 toilets until now. I haven't given it a 'severe' test yet but 'normal' tests have passed and didn't have to hold the handle down.
  5. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

I've got 2 1.28 Toto Ultramax II's in my house -
    virtually impossible to get them to clog even when you stress-test them.

Save water, save money, get the 1.28.
  6. JLM

JLM New Member

Thanks for the help. I think I am leaning toward the 1.28. One of the bathrooms is new, it is in a bonus room above the garage. The sewer line is new, it runs across the roof of the garage; down the wall, through the yard where it connects to the main sewer line. This is a question for our plumbing expert, does this configuration make a difference; should I opt for the 1.6 for this one?
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It is a rare sewer line that the waste makes it all the way to the main on one flush. Each succeding flush or water use moves it further. Don't worry about it. If the slope of the pipe is proper, it will work.
  8. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

and in addition, water from sinks, showers, etc. will all give some additional water to help move things down the road.