Torque-arresters for Sub-Pumps....

Users who are viewing this thread

Andre ROUSSEAU

Reaction score
Hi, I have read some interesting discussions from back in 2010 on the subject of anti-torque stops. These mainly describe the waisted expanding bladder type. Another type I've seen a photo of resembles a curved-spoked wheel reminiscent of the circular support disc on the end of a ski-pole. Does anyone know who makes this type (brand-names, model-numbers, web-links, etc.). Also, same query but for centring supports, as well.
Cheers folks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Those end of the ski pole things are probably stand offs or wire protectors, not torque arrestors. Torque arrestors and standoffs are only needed when the pump is cycling a lot. I never use either as they are just extra stuff that can either fall in the well or stick and keep you from getting the pump out of the well. Use double jacketed wired taped to the pipe every 10-20 feet, and keep the pump from cycling with a Cycle Stop Valve. Not only does the CSV keep cycling from wearing out the wire or unscrewing the pump, but solves all the other problems caused by too much cycling.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Poly isn't really designed for downhole applications. It's too flexible, it's extruded and rolled into coils and will always retain the coil even with the weight of a pump on it. Because of the flexibility and coil, the wire gets beat up quicker. When you pull out poly it gets laid on the grass, dirt, animal waste and all that stuff ends up in your well. On a new installation it's not really any quicker than running in sch80 PVC and it's tougher to work with.

The one good thing about poly is that it goes back in the hole fast after a pump change.

illrohan

Reaction score
when using schedule 80 pvc, how are you coupling the lengths together? I have to admit I was very happy to find out that there was Polly down my well because pulling it out and putting it back in made it that much easier. 320 feet, I couldn't imagine pulling that out and dismantling section-by-section or length by length I should say

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
On stick pipe I can have that out with my hoist truck in under 30 minutes. With no sore arms or back. The pipe simply screws together every 20'.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks