Top Tightening Bolt Won't Come Out

Users who are viewing this thread

skooker

Reaction score
A while back there was a spirited discussion on how to remove rusted bolts but no mention of when top tightening bolts like on my Totos won't come out. What's a way to remove them? I think it was stripped when the installer put them in. Is there any place I can find a diagram of the Toto Carlyle? thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The seat uses a rubber toggle with a stainless screw and washer, unless the plumber threw those away and used the plastic seat bolt and nut. If that is the case, you will have to pull the bowl and get it from the underside.

Look, if it's a plastic screw head on the seat, they plumber goofed up.
The Carlyle comes with extra stainless bolts, used from the top, and it works with an expanding rubber slip-in toggle.
Plumbers don't read instructions, and those "extra" parts can be confusing for them.

skooker

Reaction score
Thanks. I managed to remove one steel bolt. The other one just turns in the sleeve. Can't figure out how to remove bolt or sleeve.

skooker

Reaction score
maybe you haven't seen one of these. The bolt is recessed and there's no space to get a saw blade on it.

skooker

Reaction score
Thought maybe a picture would help, cutting doesn't look possible. Drill it out, what do you suggest for bit?

Attachments

• Toilet Screw1.jpg
    Toilet Screw1.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 427

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does it tighten up, but just spin when you try to pull it out? Drilling is difficult if the thing spins. Sometimes if you stick something underneath between the seat and the bowl and apply a little pressure, that will allow you to unscrew the thing without it spinning.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks