Tool for bath tub drain removal

Users who are viewing this thread

garyl53

Engineer
Reaction score
Hi,
I attempted to replace a bathtub drain using the usual tool that grips the cross members inside the drain only to have them immediately break off. Is there anyother tool available that can grip the inside of a drain so I can replace it. No access to underside of tub unfortunately.
Thanks,
Gary

cbl

Reaction score
http://www.heavydutystore.com/Ridgid_31405Model_342_Internal_Wrench_p_21666.html

The above link is a picture of what you might be looking for. I have one in my arsonal. I always try the dumbbell first, then the above mentioned tool. If neither of them work I use my jigsaw or sawsall to to make vertical cuts at 3-9-12 o'clock positions in the old drain, then pry it out with a screwdriver. Be carefull so you dont cut thru any plumbing you don't wish to replace.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks