Took the plunge(r) - long

Users who are viewing this thread

jgc

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster

After reading the many reviews, I decided to take the plunge and install a new Toto Ultramax elongated with CEFIONTECT.

Ordered it online and received it one week later.

I decided to install myself having never installed a toilet before. But with all the advice on this board, I felt confident about it.

This was what I did. Maybe this will inspire other DIYers.

1. Disconnected old 2-piece toilet. I shut off and disconnected the water supply, used a PLUNGER to push out water from bowl, and sponged out the rest. Unbolted all pieces, broke old floor caulk seal, and yanked out the toilet. Removed old wax and caulk with a putty knife. Nothing hard there.

2. Took new toilet out of the box. Probably the hardest step. The online company double-boxed the toilet with a spray-in foam padding in between their box and the original Toto box. Cutting through the foam padding to get the toilet out was a royal pain and took 30 minutes to do so.

3. I used the Fernco Waxless seal gasket, placed it on the bottom of the toilet. I replaced the closet bolts with new ones that came with the Fernco. Plopped the toilet into the flange. Toilet was a little lighter than I thought as I did it by myself. I carefully bolted the toilet to the floor until snug. BTW the Fernco seal was very easy to use.

4. I also bought a Jasmin washlet so I installed that at the same time. I installed the water supply, and tested the flush. Quite an impressive flush vs. the old Western toilet 1.6 gpf that came with the house (new tract home). Made sure there were no leaks.

5. I caulked the bottom of the toilet. I used one that contained Microban technology that is supposed to prevent microbe formation. I was debating whether to fully caulk it or just the front as recommended by others. However the space of my water closet and the baseboard solved that dilemma - there was no room to caulk the back part.

Full install time was 2 hours. It would have been a little less if the box was easier to open.

One thing that I have not seen here or on the web is a video of the flushing action of the G-max technology. I would have like to have seen one before buying it. American Standard has one of their Champion toilet. Perhaps I will shoot a video of one. Anyone know where I can pick up soybean paste?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Ultramax with CEFIONTECT

Thanks for posting the comments about the Ultramax with CEFIONTECT.

It's one of my favorites too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks