Too much water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

eldeeboy

Reaction score
i am remodeling a 1950's bathroom. the old valves under the sink needed updating to install new water lines from faucet fixture to valve. i asked a plumber to help on this project. he advised me that my home water pressure was way too high and thought it advisable to lower the pressure of water coming out of the faucet. i said okay. anyway, trying to make a long story short, come to find out, the pressure now isn't hard enough. the water "drops" out instead of "squirting" out. he installed a 1/4 shut off. would this have anything to do with the force of water coming out of the faucet? i would like to be able to fix the problem myself without having to have another $90 service call. also i've noticed the shower spray (i had new plumbing installed for that, too) isn't quite as forceful as it was before he added the new shower faucet location up on the wall. could this be due to some kind of water pressure reduction valve in the shower plumbing? i have cleaned out the screens in both locations.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The new flow restrictor limit showers to 2.5 gallons per minute. Lavs get a similar treatment.
To find the pressure on your home, go to a garden center and pick up a pressure gauge that threads onto a hosebib.

pressure-gauge-hosebib.jpg

Last edited:

eldeeboy

Reaction score
are flow restrictors a universal plumbing code thing now, or can i "override" what the plumber did and increase the flow myself?.....meaning, can i purchase another type of valve from a plumbing supply store and install it.

as far as the plumber "doing something to lower the pressure" answer......yes, he didn't fully turn back on my water tap out at the street.....which caused some other problems with my washing machine and i ended up calling the water provider to come check on the meter and he discovered that it was barely turned on!

Reach4

Reaction score
Some people remove them. Click on notifications up above.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks