too much water pressure

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by eldeeboy, Apr 29, 2014.

1. eldeeboy

eldeeboy New Member

i am remodeling a 1950's bathroom. the old valves under the sink needed updating to install new water lines from faucet fixture to valve. i asked a plumber to help on this project. he advised me that my home water pressure was way too high and thought it advisable to lower the pressure of water coming out of the faucet. i said okay. anyway, trying to make a long story short, come to find out, the pressure now isn't hard enough. the water "drops" out instead of "squirting" out. he installed a 1/4 shut off. would this have anything to do with the force of water coming out of the faucet? i would like to be able to fix the problem myself without having to have another $90 service call. also i've noticed the shower spray (i had new plumbing installed for that, too) isn't quite as forceful as it was before he added the new shower faucet location up on the wall. could this be due to some kind of water pressure reduction valve in the shower plumbing? i have cleaned out the screens in both locations.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The new flow restrictor limit showers to 2.5 gallons per minute. Lavs get a similar treatment.
    To find the pressure on your home, go to a garden center and pick up a pressure gauge that threads onto a hosebib.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Did he do "something" to lower the pressure? IF so, maybe he lowered it too much.
  4. eldeeboy

eldeeboy New Member

are flow restrictors a universal plumbing code thing now, or can i "override" what the plumber did and increase the flow myself?.....meaning, can i purchase another type of valve from a plumbing supply store and install it.

as far as the plumber "doing something to lower the pressure" answer......yes, he didn't fully turn back on my water tap out at the street.....which caused some other problems with my washing machine and i ended up calling the water provider to come check on the meter and he discovered that it was barely turned on!
  5. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

Some people remove them. Click on notifications up above.