Too high closet bend

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by CBpdx, May 18, 2009.

1. CBpdx

CBpdx New Member

May 18, 2009
    Hey folks.

1st off - been reading for a while and searching for lots of info, so thanks! Newbies always say thanks before throwing out a bunch of questions, huh? :)

I just started a bathroom remodel and am about to attack the drain lines. It is a small bath with a clawfoot, toilet, then pedestal sink (left to right). The toilet connects to a cast iron sanitary tee and vent. The "toilet tee" sits into a double cast iron tee that the tub and sink (still lead soil pipe) connect into. (All XH cast iron.)

One problem I have is the 1st tee is really high on the soil/vent stack (close to the sub floor). The closet bend attached to about 10" of ABS, through fernco donut into cast iron hub makes it look like a negative slope. Maybe 1/4" max, but still. Are there low profile closet bends? What I have is a simple 90 with hubs on either end. (This set-up was a fix. I drilled out the lead joint as it was leaking about 2 months ago and I knew I was about to demo for the remodel.)

Almost exactly like this post minus the extra purple:

Now that I am about to replumb everything I thought I need to address my 'uphill plumbing'.

I'll try to post some pictures tonight. I know it will show a lot more than I am able to explain. I'd rather try to keep the cast iron so things will remain nice and quiet.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    you can use a 4"x3 closet bend with spigot end.
    That way a hub 4" closet flange can drop over it.
    If needed, you can even trim the flange to drop down lower.

I normally just pull the lead out of the cast iron tee, and use a 4x3 flush bush into a insert rubber pipe donut.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. CBpdx

CBpdx New Member

May 18, 2009
    Last night I did look at it again and I think I used a DWV 90. I bet a closet bend with a spigot would do the trick.
    I may have to take the advice and trim as well as I don't have much height going in with the new floor (just new underlayment with Marmoleum on top, not thick tile or anything).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2009