Too high closet bend

Users who are viewing this thread

CBpdx

Reaction score
Hey folks.

1st off - been reading for a while and searching for lots of info, so thanks! Newbies always say thanks before throwing out a bunch of questions, huh? :)

I just started a bathroom remodel and am about to attack the drain lines. It is a small bath with a clawfoot, toilet, then pedestal sink (left to right). The toilet connects to a cast iron sanitary tee and vent. The "toilet tee" sits into a double cast iron tee that the tub and sink (still lead soil pipe) connect into. (All XH cast iron.)

One problem I have is the 1st tee is really high on the soil/vent stack (close to the sub floor). The closet bend attached to about 10" of ABS, through fernco donut into cast iron hub makes it look like a negative slope. Maybe 1/4" max, but still. Are there low profile closet bends? What I have is a simple 90 with hubs on either end. (This set-up was a fix. I drilled out the lead joint as it was leaking about 2 months ago and I knew I was about to demo for the remodel.)

Almost exactly like this post minus the extra purple: https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6751

Now that I am about to replumb everything I thought I need to address my 'uphill plumbing'.

I'll try to post some pictures tonight. I know it will show a lot more than I am able to explain. I'd rather try to keep the cast iron so things will remain nice and quiet.

Thanks in advance!
-Chris-

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
you can use a 4"x3 closet bend with spigot end.
That way a hub 4" closet flange can drop over it.
If needed, you can even trim the flange to drop down lower.

replace_lead_bend.jpg

I normally just pull the lead out of the cast iron tee, and use a 4x3 flush bush into a insert rubber pipe donut.

fernco_hub_4.jpg

Last edited:

CBpdx

Reaction score
Thanks.
Last night I did look at it again and I think I used a DWV 90. I bet a closet bend with a spigot would do the trick.
I may have to take the advice and trim as well as I don't have much height going in with the new floor (just new underlayment with Marmoleum on top, not thick tile or anything).

replace_lead_bend.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks