Toliet waste backing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jayw

Reaction score
Attached is diagram for existing bathroom ( as best I can remember, its been 20 yrs )

Problem i'am having is that some of the toilet waste is draining to shower trap. Toilet is new with a good flush but has inner closet flange ( not sure if that is a cause )

I will crack basement floor to fix problem if necessary but is it possible to fix without doing this (fingers soooooo crossed! lol)? ( adding AAV vent under sink? running AAV vent off shower and up inside of wall-in blue on diagram )

If I do have to crack the floor I would prefer to keep shower and sink drains or is this not possible? If I had to pick one it would be shower drain.

If I do have to do this, what is the correct way since I would be starting from scratch? ( if possible please start from the shower drain and work toward street...my brain only works in one direction! lol )

Note: on floor above, is a kitchen and 3 piece bath that are back to back and tie into stack.

Thanks for time and help, much appreciated.

plumbing diagram.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What size is the drain line from the toilet forward? Are you sure that there aren't any flat spots or bellies in the line? It must all slope down with at LEAST 1/4"/foot slope. My guess is that there's a partial blockage between the toilet and the main drain, and a proper snaking may solve the issue. Today's code would not allow 1.5" pipe for the shower, and in many places, the minimum size under a slab is 2", but what you have may have been code compliant when installed. An inside flange fitting on a 3" pipe isn't the ideal thing to use, but can work.

Asktom

Reaction score
If poop water is coming up in the shower you have at least a partial main line stoppage. Ask your friends if they know a good person to get to clean the line.

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
What size is the drain line from the toilet forward? Are you sure that there aren't any flat spots or bellies in the line? It must all slope down with at LEAST 1/4"/foot slope. My guess is that there's a partial blockage between the toilet and the main drain, and a proper snaking may solve the issue. Today's code would not allow 1.5" pipe for the shower, and in many places, the minimum size under a slab is 2", but what you have may have been code compliant when installed. An inside flange fitting on a 3" pipe isn't the ideal thing to use, but can work.

our code still allows for 1.5" shower drain for a shower with 1 head. code does not require 2" unless it has 2 or 3 heads - so it is allowed - not the best for servicing however.

I agree the most likely cause is partial blockage.

your toilet, sink and shower are not vented. an AAV will not fix your venting problem either.

you need a competent professional to fix that properly

Jayw

Reaction score
our code still allows for 1.5" shower drain for a shower with 1 head. code does not require 2" unless it has 2 or 3 heads - so it is allowed - not the best for servicing however.

I agree the most likely cause is partial blockage.

your toilet, sink and shower are not vented. an AAV will not fix your venting problem either.

you need a competent professional to fix that properly

Thks all for the replys. I will look into getting line cleaned. Mike what does fixing it properly look like? Just want to know what iam up against. In the diagram I gave, where would vents go? I have no idea and I wouldn't tackle it myself but just curious to know. thks

Jayw

Reaction score

thks jim. its 3inch and slopes down. the sink was clogged but I don't think it extended all the way to the main drain but I could be wrong.

based on diagram if everything was to be redone could I use existing shower drain to keep tile etc intact?

just start fresh from shower say mid way between shower and toilet on 1-1/2 abs moving forward?

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
you need a vent between the shower and toilet to protect the shower trap from being siphoned...you would also need a vent to protect the toilet between the toilet and main stack since there is discharge from floors above into this stack....and you need a vent for the sink ...these vents can be 1-1/2" and can tie together above flood level rim of highest fixture (the sink in this case) and must extend to a vent pipe on the upper floor and tie in above flood level rim of highest fixture there - or extend to through the roof.
if you get a professional they may reconfigure to wet vent the whole bath group through a 2" wet vent - but that's up to whoever does it for you.

Jayw

Reaction score
Thks mike.

So to properly vent the shower, a tee would be put in the floor line, and go up wall ( above sink height ) and then go around wall and tie into 3 inch stack that vents through roof?

Jayw

Reaction score
Here is the vent in shower line heading to toliet.
When the cheater vent is not on, the trap in the shower does not move at all when the toliet is flushed. When the vent is on, it siphons shower drain. Why is that? Can I leave the vent off?image.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks