Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
better_side.jpg

Here is a vented bowl for the bathroom to reduce smell.
There is a remote fan, with piping to the back of the bowl to suck out the smells from the bowl.

better_angle.jpg

Shown with controls and fan.

better_back.jpg

The connection at the back.

Achutch

Reaction score
Another old idea that became new again, this time with the benefit of forced air.

When I was in the 5th grade, we were moved to the so called "old school" in the village where I grew up. The bathrooms were in the basement and the toilets were ancient with painted steel tanks and washdown bowls, each bowl with a side vent. This vent was connected by ductwork and exhausted into the chimney (this chimney non-functioning as the stoves in the classrooms had been removed long before my time). My guess is that the hot smoke from the stoves would pull air through the vents in the toilets and help to reduce "bathroom odors" (as they were discretely referred to by the air freshener ads back in the 1960's). Of course I remember that basement sanctuary smelling more of gray oil base deck paint and Blox Fresheners (paradichlorobenzene moth cakes or urinal blocks).

These new vented toilets ought to be installed where I work. I sometimes have to hold my breath as I walk through the men's room to get to my locker. The air in there is often rank with evil that brewed within (of course not within me, LOL) and made its ghastly escape!!!

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
And a good cure for constipation! Just turn up the fan . . .

Seriously, I see a problem with an overflowing bowl.

MarkHash

Reaction score
That stall has more push buttons than the space shuttle. "We are go for separation". I would probably have a micro-switch under the seat for activation of the power vent.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The only problem that he needs to address is the possibility of water building up from condensation in the vent piping below the fan.

I would guess there is a market for it, albeit a small one.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
venting

Wouldn't that be an interesting unit to rough in. We have enough problems trying to get a finish wall measurement for the shower, and now we would have to know EXACTLY where the finished floor would be so the vent opening could be positioned, AND THEN try to fit that thing onto the vent and the closet bolts, while not damaging the wax ring. Maybe it is made of plastic, so at least it would not weigh half a ton.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We would have to know EXACTLY where the finished floor would be so the vent opening could be positioned

The final connection is behind the tank. A small hole in the drywall, and a flex connector goes to the back of the bowl.
For condensation, the connector should grade down toward the bowl.

The extra switches are for extra bathrooms. All bathrooms could be piped to the same fan.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks