Toilets for Large Waste PLUS Good Bowl Wash

Users who are viewing this thread

The Poopsmith

Reaction score
Great forum.

I'm trying to find a worst-of-both-worlds solution: metaphorically speaking, my wife lays bricks and I blow-in cellulose insulation. I have to break out the auger at least two or three times per month on her account, and scrub the bowl clean every couple of days on my own. Neither of us had problems before this modern era of low-flow toilets, but especially since moving into our new house two years ago, indoor plumbing feels just a step or two removed from working in an open-trench latrine, at best.

Our house was built with a pair of of Vortens Vienna 3113-3438 dual-flush toilets, 1.6/1.1 gpf dual flush, 2-1/8" fully-glazed trapway. We're seeing about three full flushes per use on average, sometimes more and sometimes less, just to get by. That's 4.8 gallons per movement, with a heck of a lot of grief to boot: low-flow means the opposite of low water use in our case, plus prodigous fix-up/clean-up duties.

I'd really like to return to the more-civilized era of indoor plumbing we enjoyed in the twentieth century without resorting to discarded salvage or grey-market import toilets.

Before stumbling upon this forum, lots of research had already pointed me in the direction of Caroma's large-trapway models to solve my wife's problem. I'm concerned by reports of their small water surface area, though, since insufficent bowl washing action is a big problem for myself. I've also looked into Sloan's Flushmate system, which purports a large water surface area coupled with hydraulic jet action to break apart solid waste, but I'm concerned that it might not be as effective as a larger trapway at evacuating obstructions.

I guess His-and-Her thrones are one solution, but I'm really hoping to find a good compromise model which solves both of our low-flow toilet problems while remaining user-agnostic, to preserve our free choice of available bathrooms. Short of installing several different toilets on my own, this forum seems a good way to sample other folks' anecdotal experiences instead.

Five cats plus two humans is a lot of poop to smith every morning and evening. At least I've managed to develop a good system for keeping the cats under control, but now it's time for the humans. Help!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Vortens that you have now doesn't look to be good, based on the outline of the trapway in the picture.

Either the Caroma or the Kohler Highline with Flushmate would do much better. I have installed both in this situation. The Koher will have better bowl clean. It may even be that something in the TOTO line, or American Standard Cadet series would do. But maybe doesn't always work. Not if you're flushing bricks.

highline-pa-ken.jpg

Kohler Highline with Flushmate

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks