Toilet will not flush unless its not sealed to waste pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve8

Reaction score
I had my bathroom tile redone and now my toilet will not flush with any type of seal between the floor flange and the bottom of the toilet. The only way the toilet will flush is if I install it without any wax etc. I get the impression that air is being made by toilet and filling up the waist pipe causing the toilet not to flush if sealed.
When the toilet was reset after the tile work was done the water went down very slow. I taught the wax ring may have blocked the waste pipe. The toilet was pulled up and there was no signs of any wax where it shouldn't be.
I put a new wax ring down smashed it enough so t did not stick to the toilet. When I did this the toilet flushed fine. Ive tried the fluidmaster waxless gasket. The result was the same as with the wax ring. No flush. My other toilet in my second bathroom back 2 back with the problem toilet works fine. no problem. Does anyone know what would cause a problem like this? All my Vents have been cleaned out etc. no blockage anywhere. Attached are photos of the floor flange. This toilet is an old American Standard Plebe from 1974, Ive even replaced the toilet and still same story. I know its not the toilet due to the old and new one doing the same thing. Anyways just taught Id check here first before being forced to fork up the cash to have my problem professionally fixed.

Attachments

• IMG_0352.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_0349.JPG
    IMG_0349.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,506

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that standing water at the bottom shown in the picture? There should not be standing water in a toilet pipe.
index.php

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
This is why photos are so helpful. Reach4 and Cacher_Chick could tell immediately from that standing water what your problem was. Time for that closet bend to be snaked.

(Toilets have the trap seal built into the toilet. That's why you need a wax seal between toilet and flange -- to prevent sewer gas from coming up and entering your house because there is no trap in the piping outside the toilet. Your sink, obviously, will have water in the pipe as you look down into it, because there's a P-trap in the piping below it. But your toilet shouldn't. I am surprised that you didn't end up flushing a bunch of effluent onto your floor when you pulled out the wax.)

Steve8

Reaction score
Yes a
Is that standing water at the bottom shown in the picture? There should not be standing water in a toilet pipe.
index.php
t the bottom where the pipe begins to slope there is a small amount of water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks