Toilet Water Supply Valve Not Coming Off

Users who are viewing this thread

ttbrowne

Reaction score
I'm replacing a water supply valve at the wall that goes to the toilet tank. I have been turning the connection closest to the wall but it is not coming off. Nor is the pipe turning that it is connected to. I have turned this about a dozen times. I want to know if I have ruined something in the wall? Should I tighten it back or what?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
What type valve do you have? Sweat, compression or IPS.

John

ttbrowne

Reaction score
What type valve do you have? Sweat, compression or IPS.

John

John, Thanks. It was a compression copper ring. I figured it out and put the new one on but it leaked. I couldn't figure it out but what I was doing wrong was...I had put plumbers tape on it and it was preventing a watertight seal. All I had to do was remove the tape and it worked perfectly.

angle_stop.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ttbrowne

Reaction score
Thank you! I had to replace ALL of my work anyway. The original plumbers had leveled it with washers placed under the bowl. I must not have returned all the washers in the right place cause it cracked at the base.

Bought new toilet from plumbing supply, plus new washers from ACE and put it in today. I'm praying that it works this time.

I'm a novice and even though I watched my Dad do this a dozen times, I still get nervous working with toilets.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks