Toilet Water - Salmon Colored Ring

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by statjunk, Dec 31, 2007.

1. statjunk

statjunk DIY Senior Member

Hey guys,

I have a toilet in my house that is seldom used. I noticed that when the water sits there a pink ring will form around the toilet. It never bothered me until I noticed that the shower head that I use almost daily had a little bit of pink-salmon colored stuff on the individual spray tips.

What does this mean about my water?

I'm on Detroit city water which is considered to be excellent water. All the pipes in my house are copper.

Thanks

Tom
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Iron reducing bacteria? I get it too. Only normally notice it in the toilet, but occasionally in the tub. If your WH is set high enough, it will kill the stuff in there, but when you mix it with the cold...
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I learned about this recently on another forum. Serratia marcescens is your culprit!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serratia_marcescens
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I don't see anywhere where it says get out of the house now! I do see it saying kill it with chlorine bleach.

I dunno Rugged, I think you need to change your handle! Your scared of a hepatitus shot and now you're scared of "Pink" Bacteria..... Sheesh!
  5. I tried for the username "Dainty" or "Tender" but they were all taken. Sad :(
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

:p Siezed the opporitunity:p
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2007