toilet water level dropping

Users who are viewing this thread

smka47

Reaction score
About a month ago, the water level in my Downstairs Toilet started dropping down from its original line about a half an inch immediately after flushing. Two weeks before it started dropping, the plumber put some wedges under the toilet because the back started hitting the wall when I got up from it.
When the plumber came back he looked under the building to see if it was leaking. It was dry and he said that he didn't think that the toilet was cracked. He also checked the main line that runs from the front of the building to the back (it's an apartment building) and said it was clear.
Then he said not to flush it for a while so I didn't flush it for about 16 days. It went down another half an inch. He then came back and put a hose down the toilet and power flushed it with water.
That didn't work and now the water level in the Upstairs Toilet is dropping the same way.
Anyone have any suggestions?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Have you flushed dental floss down that water closet? I seen this happen when the dental floss gets caught in the trap way and acts as a siphon that slowly siphons the bowl down.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Also note that if the toilet was rocking and he just put shims in, you've probably got a failed wax seal...once installed, if it rocks, the wax won't rebound, and you could have a gap. This can leak sewer gas, and if the line gets plugged, leak out waste water and rot the floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks