Toilet vent in a 2x10 floor joist

Users who are viewing this thread

jwarr

Reaction score
Hello all! First of all, love this forum. I read it all the time but have found myself in need of your most expert knowledge.

I have searched and can't find a solution to my problem. I'm sure somewhere some has answered it...and I apologize....but I'll try and provide as much information as possible in this scenario.

I've added an addition onto the second floor that is going to be a new master bedroom. One of the existing, smaller bedrooms is being converted to a master bathroom. I need help with the vent for the toilet. The drain line runs the length of the room to the opposite side and drops down, runs through the first floor wall, and connects to the rest of the plumbing stack in the basement. The problem is the 3" drain line never runs under a wall that I can vent through. There are walls to either side of the toilet flange, 18" to each side, but they are too far to maintain the required 45 degree slope for a vent. My best idea is to use a 3 x 3 x 2 pvc wye fitting, venting out the 2 inch 45, turn the vent 90 degrees, go horizontal 18 inches to the wall, turn 90 degrees, and go vertical up to the attic to join the existing vent stack.

I've uploaded a basic sketch of the floor plan with the drain lines and a picture of kind of the best thing I can come up with for the vent. Again, the problem is not maintaining the required 45 degrees. For further information, the floor joists are 2x10's and run parallel to the main drain line coming off the toilet (so the run north to south in reference to the picture).

Any ideas on how to solve this would be much appreciated. If you need more information, just let me know. I like doing my own projects, I just want to get it right! Thank you!!

Attachments

• Plumbing Layout.JPG
    Plumbing Layout.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 401
  • Plumbing Vent.pdf
    145.8 KB · Views: 256

Stuff

Reaction score
Why not take the bath/shower drain to the right and wye it into the 3" toilet drain? Assume you have a vent at the tub so would provide a wet vent.

And that pic is not legal as has a horizontal dry vent below the overflow of the fixture.

jwarr

Reaction score
Why not take the bath/shower drain to the right and wye it into the 3" toilet drain? Assume you have a vent at the tub so would provide a wet vent.

And that pic is not legal as has a horizontal dry vent below the overflow of the fixture.

Stuff,

Thank you for your quick reply. I completely agree that the picture isn't legal. Just was the best way I could think about doing it......until you pointed out the obvious. I was so focused on solving the toilet vent as a standalone problem (since I had already "solved" the shower/sinks) that I didn't even consider rerouting my drain lines.

So, 2" drain from shower, 2" trap, 2 x 2 x 2 wye when I go under the wall for 2" vent vertically up wall, continue and tie into 3" toilet drain with 3 x 3 x 2 wye to create a wet vent for the toilet?

Again, thank you for your quick reply. You guys are awesome.

Stuff

Reaction score
Another set of eyes is all you need sometimes.

Some areas require upsizing the drain when used as a wet vent. Check with your local building department.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks