toilet troubles

Users who are viewing this thread

scrawn-e

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having problems with my basement toilet and possibly tub. Lately, sometimes my toilet flushes really slowly or not at all. It just fills up and swirls around a bit, and then the water level drops to normal, or sometimes the water will almost completely empty the bowl. Last week, some of the waste from the toilet came up through the basement tub in the same bathroom. I did a bunch of plunging which I think helped because the toilet would finally flush normally, but after a few uses, it would start to flush slowly again.
I think it stopped coming up through the tub, but I have noticed when I plunge the toilet, some water comes (not much) comes up through the tub, still.

I have plunge the toilet numerous times and have even used a 6' toilet auger. But I'm still having this issue. Seems like it will be okay after it sits for a while - after it sits for a couple of hours or so, I can get a good flush, but then after a few more flushes it goes back to just swirling around the bowl.

I'm wondering if I need to snake the tub?? Or remove the toilet and snake from there.

I've been in this house for several years and have never had any plumbing problems. Oh, and I'm not having any problems in any other areas of the house.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You almost certainly have a clog. It may be easier to clean it out if you remove the toilet. Plunging just pushed it a little further down the pipe, giving you enough room to flush the toilet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

You have a plugged or partially plugged drain line. Plunging does nothing to cure it, although it can relieve some symptoms for a short time. Chemicals also are useless, so don't even waste money on them.

house21

Reaction score
Website
www.robuild.co.uk
If you hear noises in the tub when you flush the toilet, I think it means bad plumbing.The waste pipes are not laid as it should or joined in the right place and level.
If that is the case, you could have a vent fitted,helps the waste flow down the pipes.

scrawn-e

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's response.

Turns out is was the sewer ejector pump. I failed to mention that there was some leakage coming from the sewer tank in the basement closet. My pumber friend came by and replaced the pump. All is well now.

Thanks again!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks