Toilet/tile floor question.

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Ben05, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Ben05

Ben05 New Member

I am in the process of tiling a previously linoleum bathroom floor. I removed the linoleum and laid a backerboard down, and I began to lay out my tile. This is when I got to the toilet area. I realized that with the backerboard and the tiles my new floor will sit 3/8"-1/2" higher than before. The flange is stil on the same level as the original floor, so I have a 3/8"-1/2' difference between my tile floor and my flange. Is this an issue? Will the wax ring and the closet bolts ensure a tight leak-free seal or do I need to elevate my flange? I am sure this has been answered numerous times here before, but I haven't been able to track it down.

Thanks in advance for any assistance given!
  2. Plumber2000

Plumber2000 Plumber

What kind of pipe is this flange, plastic, cast or brass?
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Flanges are designed to sit on top of the finished floor. It is often the case that peole do not raise the flange. Doubling up on the wax rings often works. Problem is, if it does leak, it leaks into the floor rather than on top where you would notice right away.