Toilet/tile floor question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Ben05

Reaction score
I am in the process of tiling a previously linoleum bathroom floor. I removed the linoleum and laid a backerboard down, and I began to lay out my tile. This is when I got to the toilet area. I realized that with the backerboard and the tiles my new floor will sit 3/8"-1/2" higher than before. The flange is stil on the same level as the original floor, so I have a 3/8"-1/2' difference between my tile floor and my flange. Is this an issue? Will the wax ring and the closet bolts ensure a tight leak-free seal or do I need to elevate my flange? I am sure this has been answered numerous times here before, but I haven't been able to track it down.

Thanks in advance for any assistance given!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Flanges are designed to sit on top of the finished floor. It is often the case that peole do not raise the flange. Doubling up on the wax rings often works. Problem is, if it does leak, it leaks into the floor rather than on top where you would notice right away.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks