Toilet Tank Water Won't hold

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by jerome8283, Dec 30, 2008.

1. jerome8283

jerome8283 New Member

My toilet often runs as if it were just flushed. Also I can hear water trickling. The floor is dry. Today I did a test by flushing the toilet, letting the tank fill and shutting off the water supply line to see if the water in the tank would maintain its level. I checked it less than 2hrs later and the water was almost completely drained. What do you think the problem is?
  2. Probedude

Probedude New Member

What shape is the flapper in the tank? It's likely just that it needs to be replaced.
  3. jerome8283

jerome8283 New Member

The toilet is fairly new, a few months old. Would the flapper need replacing so soon?
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

It sure sounds like a flapper problem. It is awfully soon for the flapper to be bad, more likely it's not seating properly.
  5. jerome8283

jerome8283 New Member

Thanks guys. I will take a look.
  6. Donn2390

Donn2390 New Member

If you put some of that junk in the tank they sell under the pretense of keeping the bowl clean, most of those chemicals will destroy the rubber parts in a hurry...
  7. theplumber

theplumber Member

Also check the handle and makes sure it's not holding up the flapper just above the sealing point. Another thing to check is the chain itself and how it rests. If you have too much slack, it can get under the flapper and keep it from sealing. You want just a little bit of slack when in the closed sealed position, no slack and you can run into a sticky handle holding the flapper up too high to seal.