toilet tank seal

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by gfe76, Oct 12, 2007.

1. gfe76

gfe76 New Member

I have a toilet where the tank seal is leaking. problem is i can't find brand of toilet anywhere on it. House built in 1972 and toilet is probably original. Tank is ceramic with "pat 191-697" engraved on underside of tank cover. the refill bowl tube in tank is "built" into the wall of the tank and is ceramic also. Seal, from looking inside tank appears to be about 3-4 inches, although I have not measured it...thanks
  2. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Eljier you might think replacement.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tank

Crane and Eljer both made tanks like that, but their methods of sealing to the toilet bowl were different. The type of flush valve would determine which brand it is.
  4. gfe76

gfe76 New Member

the flush valve was replaced a few years ago, but that wouldn't have changed the toilet seal would it?
  5. hj

tank

Not with a ceramic seat, but the type of flush valve would make identifying the brand easier, and thus the type of tank to bowl seal you need. The type that you need is brand specific, and the common generic one will not work.
  6. gfe76

gfe76 New Member

the seat is not ceramic. I was describing the down tube in the tank. MOst tanks I've seen have a 1" diameter plastic down tube to fill the bowl. this down tube in the tank is "built" into the side of the tank and is ceramic. That's why I was thinking the toilet is orig to the house. but, the "guts" of the tank have been changed. So with that explanation, any more thoughts on whether a regular tank seal between tank and bowl will work?
  7. hj

overflow

Most, if not all, tanks with a ceramic overflow, unless they were one piece without a tank gasket, had a ceramic seat for the tank ball/flapper. If yours has a ceramic overflow built in, with a plastic or metal flush valve assesmbly, then it is a generic one and you have to know the make and model to get the correct seal gasket.
  8. gfe76

gfe76 New Member

Hj....thanks...