Toilet tank has no bolts ?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by cdm, Jun 10, 2006.

1. cdm

cdm New Member

So , my toilet tank has no bolts. This is an old toilet and the gasket between the bottom of the toilet tank and where it rests on top of the back portion of the toilet bowl is leaking. I guess it's one of those tanks where you screw the whole tank directly on top of the back of the toilet because there is no tank bolts. So the question is: I tried to remove as much of the disintegrating gasket as I could and then I applied as much silicone sealant as I could to seal it up since it's up against the wall and bolted to the cement floor. It's probably not up to code but is this adequate ?

Thanks
    Chris
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If it doesn't leak...go for it. My unprofessional opinion. Depending on how much this bathroom is used, and your costs for water and sewer, a new one might be a good idea sometime in the future, but there is something to be said for maintaining the status quo, too. Taking apart the (probable) nut and threads on something that old is likely to lead to something that you might not be able to get parts for, then you'd have no choice but to replace.