Toilet tank bolt leaking

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Titan7, May 8, 2012.

1. Titan7

Titan7 New Member

I installed a Toto Drake three days ago and I haven't been seeing leaking on the left-hand bolt it's a slow drip. I pulled the tank replace the rubber washers in the tank tighten everything back up again and this morning I've got dripping from the left side of the tank near the water supply inlet i checked around the water supply valve and There is no dripping. Any suggestions?

Thanks
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Have you snugged up the large nut on the flush valve?
  3. Titan7

Titan7 New Member

Is the flush valve but the big white one on the bottom of the tank?
    If so I did not. I am wondering if there is a leaking seal as the toilet was in use for 7 years without and issue, then sat in the garage for over a year during the remodel. I have installed many toilets but never had a leak. Since I have to pull the tank again is there anything else I should do? I am thinking of replacing all the gaskets now.
  4. Titan7

Titan7 New Member

Update, I replaced the two tank bolts and placed a rubber gasket/nut/washer on the bottom of the tank also, a tip I found on-line. So I decided before re-installing on the bowl I will put on top of a 5 gal. bucket, fill the tank and see if the gaskets leak. So far the tank bolts are not leaking nor is anything else.

Well, one issue, there is a steady drip from the flapper at the rate of about 1 drop per 1.5 seconds. Shouldn't the water pressure in the tank be able to keep the flapper from leaking. Strange that I did not hear the toilet refilling, but I have only had it on the bowl for a few hours. So I am assuming there should be no dripping from the flapper?
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Rub your finger around the seat, if it's smooth, do the same with the flapper. If it's smooth, it may be time for a new flapper valve. Lowes and most hardware stores sell the Korky flapper made for Toto. There are a couple of other brands that can work on the thing as well.