toilet supply makeover options...

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by roadk, Nov 26, 2009.

1. roadk

roadk New Member

here's a photo of my toilet supply line.
    i would like to dress it up and was looking for suggestions to get some chrome on it to match the rest of my bathroom hardware.
    i can't (or would rather not) remove any of the beadboard.

any suggestions would be great appreciated.
    -thomas
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I can't see the picture, but a new chrome shutoff and escutcheon will look nice.

When we do our toilet replacements, we charge $50.00 while we are there to replace the shutoff.

If its a copper pipe from the wall, a sleeve puller will remove the back nut.
    If it's an old galvanized pipe, then you can remove that, and use a brass nipple, or a chrome plated brass nipple.

[​IMG]
  3. roadk

roadk New Member

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2009
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Measure how much shorter you want the new nipple,
    Pull out the old one, and subtract them amount you will be removing.
    If you want if three inches closer, get a nipple that is 3" shorter.
    Then get either a chrome plated nipple, or if it's tight to the wall like the picture above, you can use a brass nipple.

That is way too far out from the wall.
    You will be getting a new supply tube anyway.

Now that I see the picture, just cut the copper shorter, use an escutcheon and a compression shutoff.
    But keep it close to the wall.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2009
  5. roadk

roadk New Member

thanks terry. i appreciate the help.
    have a great thanksgiving!
    -thomas
  6. Mike Lopez

Mike Lopez Plumbing Inspector

TEST test test
  7. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

The link that you have is exactly what you want, you don't need a coupling, the chrome tube slides over the copper stub, don't forget to put the bell flange on before you solder it, luck :)
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

supply

Do it the way we do with EVERY installation. Cut the tubing 1 1/2" from the wall. Slide on a spun escutcheon, then a compression valve and tighten it. Finally get a "good" supply line and install it between the valve and the toilet.
  9. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

If you leave the copper that long this is what happens.

Attached Files: