Toilet suggestions for 11" rough and baseboard heater behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

PaulMartin

Reaction score
Hello all-
I have been following this forum since buying home 4 yrs ago for great ideas and interesting reading. Never posted before.
Appreciate any advice.
Now here is the problem- First contractor,since dismissed said 12" rough toto is ok, so orderd and received drake ll
Made over small powder room 3x5, wall for toilet 35" wide , wrong toilet sitting in garage, new contractor said no fit
We have 11" from tiled wall to center of flange.
Complication is there is slantfin30 baseboard heating directing behind- extends about 2"into toilet space-Already gutted room and retiled on slab
Toto tech said Aquia cst412 mf.10 is only one that will work- however back ordered around new york for months.
Any ideas,please
paul

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I'm thinking also the Toto original Drake CST744ef.10 in the old tank or CST744efn.10 in the new tank design. But you would have to measure. You have the extra inch from 11" to 10", plus whatever distance from the wall you have on the base, plus perhaps "cheating" the thing forward a bit when your plumber installs it. Did you actually TRY to dry-fit the Drake II and see where the spigot comes out when you have it as far back as the baseboard setup will allow? I'm thinking that "cheating" the thing forward on the flange might just do it, depending upon the position of the flange and the actual depth of the baseboard heating.

Spec sheet with new tank: http://assets.totousa.com/product-files/SS-01003_CST744EFN10.pdf

IF you are sold on the 10-inch CST412MF.10, I would make this guy an offer. He is in Brooklyn, and claims to have a bunch of them. Maybe your screw-up contractor could pick it up and you could save over the "free" shipping and eyeball it before taking it home. I would offer $500 or less on it, though, since that's what it's still available with free shipping at from online sources, even the ones that are gouging a bit since it is in short supply. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOTO-AQUIA-..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item28017596d3#shpCntId

Last edited:

PaulMartin

Reaction score
I'm thinking also the Toto original Drake CST744ef.10 in the old tank or CST744efn.10 in the new tank design. But you would have to measure. You have the extra inch from 11" to 10", plus whatever distance from the wall you have on the base, plus perhaps "cheating" the thing forward a bit when your plumber installs it. Did you actually TRY to dry-fit the Drake II and see where the spigot comes out when you have it as far back as the baseboard setup will allow? I'm thinking that "cheating" the thing forward on the flange might just do it, depending upon the position of the flange and the actual depth of the baseboard heating.

Spec sheet with new tank: http://assets.totousa.com/product-files/SS-01003_CST744EFN10.pdf
Thanks for the reply-
Just to be clear I have the cst 454. The contractor said the bottom base will bump up against the slantfin baseboard - Actually he pulled it out of box this morning and said no point to dry fit,-said the bottom base just extends back a little too much-need base that is little less deep. That's the problem otherwise 10" rough model or unifit adapter would probably work with a vespin2. I called toto tech support and they said Aquia, but not available for months from vendor that i bought the drake2 from.

PaulMartin

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the area

paulmartin-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMartin

Reaction score
Here's some pics of the area
Wiseone- thanks again for suggestion
Local plumbing supply just sent me the same suggestion, the cst744.
Looking at schematic online, the rear on the 744 goes pretty straight, not angled away from wall at all. But maybe it will work. Darn baseboard in the worst location, should have considered moving it before tiling; hindsight. Having never installed a toilet, I'm relying on the expertise of others. If room wasn't all tiled already might have moved the baseboard. Must be a toilet that works, even if worst case not toto, which we have have in the other baths.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The reason people recommend the original Drake is that it actually will fit (i.e. the tank will just touch the wall) at about 10-7/8", depending on how perfectly-vertical the wall is. So on a 12" rough-in, it normally has the tank off the wall a bit. People who have 11.5" or whatever rough-ins can dependably fit that toilet. Now, for you the issue is the base, as it was for me in one bathroom, which had thick molding. Someone on here did me a solid and measured how much floor distance there was, from wall-at-12" to base of china. It seemed like it would work, and mine just it. I will look for that post if I can find it.

Meanwhile, I'm also telling you that really-good-plumbers, not hacks like your first contractor, can actually scoot the toilet a little forward on the flange, taking advantage of the fact that the flange hole is 3" and the toilet outlet is 2-1/8", so you have a little less than a half-inch all around to work before the thing starts spitting water on the flange/floor. You can scoot it back a bit towards the wall, or you can scoot it forward. It takes knowing how to do it, but it's doable.

Okay, so when I hear 11" rough-in, I think immediately Original Drake, with its choice of new tank or old tank. (Meaningless functionally, just different appearance of porcelain). Apparently so does your plumbing supply guy, who apparently knows his Totos.
However, you have that EXTRA issue of the intrusion of the heating. Measure it carefully, the distance from finished wall to edge of heating stuff, and I will meanwhile look for the amount of space you have at the base on 12". Then you will have to subtract 1" for your 11" rough-in, and we will see if it will fit.

Meanwhile, that guy on Ebay in Brooklyn says he has a bunch of the toilet you want. Many of the major sites show them as backordered or discontinued. I don't know what the truth is.

PaulMartin

Reaction score
The reason people recommend the original Drake is that it actually will fit (i.e. the tank will just touch the wall) at about 10-7/8", depending on how perfectly-vertical the wall is. So on a 12" rough-in, it normally has the tank off the wall a bit. People who have 11.5" or whatever rough-ins can dependably fit that toilet. Now, for you the issue is the base, as it was for me in one bathroom, which had thick molding. Someone on here did me a solid and measured how much floor distance there was, from wall-at-12" to base of china. It seemed like it would work, and mine just it. I will look for that post if I can find it.

Meanwhile, I'm also telling you that really-good-plumbers, not hacks like your first contractor, can actually scoot the toilet a little forward on the flange, taking advantage of the fact that the flange hole is 3" and the toilet outlet is 2-1/8", so you have a little less than a half-inch all around to work before the thing starts spitting water on the flange/floor. You can scoot it back a bit towards the wall, or you can scoot it forward. It takes knowing how to do it, but it's doable.

Okay, so when I hear 11" rough-in, I think immediately Original Drake, with its choice of new tank or old tank. (Meaningless functionally, just different appearance of porcelain). Apparently so does your plumbing supply guy, who apparently knows his Totos.
However, you have that EXTRA issue of the intrusion of the heating. Measure it carefully, the distance from finished wall to edge of heating stuff, and I will meanwhile look for the amount of space you have at the base on 12". Then you will have to subtract 1" for your 11" rough-in, and we will see if it will fit.

Meanwhile, that guy on Ebay in Brooklyn says he has a bunch of the toilet you want. Many of the major sites show them as backordered or discontinued. I don't know what the truth is.

PaulMartin

Reaction score
Very kind of you to take the time to post your suggestions. Hope my new guy has a really good plumber that's experienced with toilets. I measured again, from finished wall to end of baseboard is 2 1/4". Would be great if the drake worked.
Not like buying shoes where you can keep trying them on til you find one that fits. Bought this online, warehouse in Edison and they said they'd ship different one & take it back on an exchange. Don't love the Aquia that the toto tech suggested. After doing some research on this site thought maybe a toto with the unifit adapter might work like the vespinII. supply house also suggested the connelly or the rowan but only saw them in 12" rough so I think not.

Reach4

Reaction score
After doing some research on this site thought maybe a toto with the unifit adapter might work like the vespinII.
Those Unifit toilets such as Vespin go very close to the baseboard, so that cannot be the answer.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Another option may be something like an Amerian Standard Cadet Pro. We installed those sometimes if we need more space between the wall and bowl.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Terry reports that virtually every customer who orders an Aquia loves it. Many many order more. Lowest return rates of almost all his toilets.

PaulMartin

Reaction score
Terry reports that virtually every customer who orders an Aquia loves it. Many many order more. Lowest return rates of almost all his toilets.
I would have ordered Aquia if they were available. Have to check the net. From my novice perspective looks like Aquia 10 rough is best best. If not available maybe I can get a drake and get plumber's opinion.

PaulMartin

Reaction score
Thanks Terry for your suggestion,I'm looking at spec sheet. Would much prefer another toto though.
Too bad Massapequa NY is out of your range. Need a plumber with experience around here. Maybe plumbing supply has recommendation

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Maccarone in Glen Cove covers the Island and is excellent, but expensive. We use them because they fix it once and don't need to come back.

PaulMartin

Reaction score
Maccarone in Glen Cove covers the Island and is excellent, but expensive. We use them because they fix it once and don't need to come back.
After checking plumbing supply shop they too suggested cadet pro but bowl is out of stock.
Anyone have any luck with other american standard units. Looks like they have models that may clear my 2" baseboard with 10" rough.

Reach4

Reaction score
Would the Cadet 3 be similar enough?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
To my untrained eye it looks like the tank and base of bowl on cadet 3 are on straight line, question is would it allow for the 2" baseboard radiator.
Then you should wait for the PRO.

I was wondering if you could print each picture onto thin paper at the same scale. Then overlay the pictures on a sunny window pane to compare the drawings. But if you can see the difference, then it is not so subtle.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks